RJ Spagnols OCP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admiral

Reaction score
My Orange Chocalate Port arrived today
smiley1.gif
. I am planning it (some of it
smiley1.gif
) for gifts next Christmas.

Before I begin, are there any suggestions that those of you who have made it before have for me. The directions are different for this kit versus my first two (MMs). The biggest difference is holding the wine in the primary up to day 10.

Any issues for which I should be prepared.

Thanks in advance!
smiley1.gif

No issues and its a great wine. Just follow the directions. RJS does have you ferment completely or almost completely in the primary. You may find that degassing is a lot easier.
VPC

I tend to like their method better as it does degas easier and you dny have to rack over much sediment this way either.

Yes I got my kit replaced but havent started it yet as I dont have an empty 3 gallon carboy and not enough of the same 375ml bottles to do what I have in the 2-3 gallon carboys I do have.

wade said:
Yes I got my kit replaced but havent started it yet as I dont have an empty 3 gallon carboy and not enough of the same 375ml bottles to do what I have in the 2-3 gallon carboys I do have.

Oh the problems some of us have! So much wine, so little space.
smiley36.gif

I still got some bottles earmarked for ya Wade..........

Just a little time.. Which is at a premium this month.......

Working 7 days a week this month, some days have started at 9 am and don't end till 5 am the next morning. I have about 3 days a week like that, tomorrows another one.

I hope you know me better then to think that was a hint or anything to that nature and was actually thinking of deleting it because of that.

Yea I know............

You also know I post stuff like that to drive you nuts............
smiley4.gif

Not really........

I know your not ready for them yet......... well....... I think your not, if you were I know you'd tell me to get them to you, and I would.

They can sit in those carboys as long as I have k-meta and I have a 5 lb bag not even open yet!
smiley36.gif
It great that your business is booming so good in this economy. It seems like you and George have the 2 best business's going!

I started the OCP today. Very simple start. Juice (what juice!
smiley17.gif
it was so sweet the smell alone knocked you over. Smell of concentrated raisins and the color... deep, deep purple)into fermenter. Add bentonite, pitch yeast, cover fermenter, sit back, hang tounge out, start waiting. The SG was 1.120.

Couple of quick questions: 1.) Why does RJS have you snap on the lid at the beginning of Primary? Is it only with this kit or is it true with all their kits? 2.) Those of you that made this wine, does it need to be filtered or is this step added for this kit as most might send it to bottle without bulk aging?
OK, it was 3 quetions but two were related.
smiley1.gif

Snap the lid on or not your choice and with no grape pack to stir I just close mine. Although the directions say to filter it is not necessary.
VPC

Filtering on these kits is recommended by the manufacturer due to its high residual sugar left in. I have made a few of these and havent had a problem without filtering but also beware that these kits will take longer for the sediment to fall out as they are much thicker due to the addition of the big f-pack and that might also be their thinking behind itnot to mention the 2 packets of yeast per 3 gallons so there are a few factors for these. If you dont have a filter give it more time then stated to settle out.

I have a pump and will have to purchase a filter. (Still researching that.) I was planning on bulk aging until next September then bottling. Would I rack once per month duing that time and add Kmeta every 3 months?

Thanks, as always for your help.

What kind of pump do you have and what kind of filter system are you looking t? Im going to get a whole house filter to use with my vacuum pump and use 5 micron filters which I can get the filter housing at Walmart for $27.99 and the filters for about $7.99 twin pack.

Latest posts

Back