oaky flavor wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosa6329

Reaction score
To obtain an oak flavor as if the wine was aged in a oak barrel you can use oak chips. Right? When would you put the oak chips in? I have a wooden oak barrel but it leaks and its a lot of work to get it working. It was actually used from Woodbridge Winery from California. It has there imprint logo on it, I am afraid that since it hasnt been used for such a long time, it would be nearly impossible to really clean it. So next step to get the oaky flavor would be the wooden chips.

I am also wondering on how to make your own oak chips and toast them as well - if possible.

Thanks steve

I elieve the general opinion is that spirals are better than chips... Either can be used... After stabilizing put the chips in a bag (easier than racking them off) and put in the wine... Check every few days til you get the desired effect, then remove the chips. A barrel is only good for so long... may be that yours is beyond use. Spirals are easier because you can tie them from fishing line and suspend them in the wine and they are easier to remove when you're ready. Keep in mind that you can always add a little more oak flavor, but you can't take it back out, so go easy on it! HTH!

Latest posts

Back