Oaking Mulberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
I have started a mulberry wine . I have decided to oak this wine . Since this is my first attempt at oaking , I would like to understand the oaking process.

When do I add oak ( before or after clarifying )?
Do I add K-Meta and Sorbate first?
I am going to use American Oak Medium Toast spirals
What length of time in carboy before tasting?
When do I know enough is enough?

BOB

I think you can add the oak anytime.

Example: MM kits add oak at fermentation, But if you use barrels, the wine goes in obviously later.

Taste it on a regular basis

Enough is enough when it tastes right to you, BUT, I have also heard that if you plan on aging it for a while, you should slightly over oak it... because it will mellow out beutifully.

Thats my 2 cents....

Hope some of the pro's can help out here.

I would wait until after stabilizing andclarifying and add it during your bulk aging stage. Assuming you are talking about a 5-6 gallon batch I would recommend you begin sampling after about 4-5 weeks

Thanks for the help. I only have one question . How do I determine when it has enough oak?

BOB

fivebk said:
Thanks for the help. I only have one question . How do I determine when it has enough oak?

BOB

Taste it... you can get recommendations of how long to leave it. But taste should be the bottom line. IMO

Back