oaking during MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinelli01

Reaction score
Has anyone ever oaked with the spirals during MLF? I heard it is good for the following reasons: impact of MLB helps the wood's contribution to blend into wine, the crevices in wood provide environment for microbial growth.

Spine......Commercial Wineries generally conduct MLF in OAK barriques. You should be fine

would you sanitize spirals by spraying with a diluted solution of KMS (10 ppm) or steaming them? I've read some people will take this extra step. My thought is the ETOH will help kill the unwanted bugs

Ok. Great! Thanks. I actually just called the manufacturer of the oak spirals, and they said the same thing. No need to sanitize of clean. Thanks everyone

Seen a thing on YouTube this guy steamed his wood for a few minutes before using it to sanitize..... Sounded like a great idea! I'm gonna try it.....

Seen a thing on YouTube this guy steamed his wood for a few minutes before using it to sanitize..... Sounded like a great idea! I'm gonna try it.....

That would be like unwrapping a lollipop and running it under hot water before putting it in your mouth. Just saying... :a1

I have some cabernet sauvignon and some pinot noir, both from frozen must, going through mlf right now, and I am thinking that I will wait until it's through before I put in some oak so I can see how it's going to taste. I am not that experienced so taste is my one of my best testing methods and while going through mlf the taste is constantly changing and a little strange sometimes. I think I will stick with waiting until it's completed.

Latest posts

Back