Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry1

Reaction score
I've looked at FVWs offerings for oak and researched the forum for input. I noticed white oak is used for oaking. We have white oak in the USA. Is this where theoak comes from, or no? We also have a lot of red oak in the south. Has anyone used this in their wine? I've got a little batch of Welches grape going and want to oak. The toasting process can't be rocket science and should be easily accomplished with a cast iron skillet and fire. That may sound archiac to some, but someone started this in the past. How did they do it? Burned theinside of oak barrels, right? I just happen to have a way to chip the oak, or it could be cut into thin strips similar to the spirals. Am I getting way of base?

Its really is an art that has been developed and tweaked over centuries really. French Oak is my personal favorite followed by Hungarian Oak. American Oak is my least personal favorite but still makes for a great wine when done correctly. They don't use red oak, only white to my knowledge.

I would just buy an 8oz bag of French or Hungarian and call it a day. You only need a few oz for 6 gallons and you can use the spent/used oak for great BBQ charcoal.

Unless you have alot of spare time on your hands why reinvent the wheel!

I don't believe red oak is ever utilized for oaking wine.

My friend owns a sawmill. He gave me some Arkansas white oak. I will let it dry for 6 months then ask you folks how to toast it as well. I just wanted white oak from Arkansas because that's where I live.

Here is how another winemaker on another forum ended up making their own toasted chips:

I've toasted nearly all of my oak in the last year with good success. (Except for the oven fire. Forgot I was toasting fire starter!)

I just put it on a cookie sheet about 3" below the broiler and watched as it just starts to smoke. Take the sheet out of the oven flip them, do it again. About 4 times through this process, you should have them to about a medium toast and sterile. Cool them down and toss into the wine at about 1/2 oz (dry weight) per gallon.

Latest posts

Back