Oak Spirals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
I ordered some oak spirolls from Midwest. Full disclosure, they are not real clear on what you get, and I did expect to get more than TWO for my $14.99. But be that as it may, has anyone used them before? I'm brand new to spirolls.

The instructions say one is good for 3 gallons, which makes it not very cost-effective compared to chips. I am considering using one each in two upcoming fivers of white, and just doubling the recommended soak time.

They'll have to be darned good for me to get them again, since I am a cheap-a:D .... uh, nevermind!

:)

Thbe sprals are very nice. Use a pcs of fishing line coming out of the carboy to extract it when needed. I feel they give a much truer oak essence to the wine. They take longer which is nocer to add during aging and its not so needed to check every day after a short time so as not to over oak like chips which have a much greater exposure to your wine!

I've used the oak spirals from fine vine wines before. They work great! Take about 6 weeks in the carboy after fermentation. Great way to kick the oak up a notch after!

Thbe sprals are very nice. Use a pcs of fishing line coming out of the carboy to extract it when needed. I feel they give a much truer oak essence to the wine. They take longer which is nocer to add during aging and its not so needed to check every day after a short time so as not to over oak like chips which have a much greater exposure to your wine!

Wade, that's exactly what I was planning to do, use fishing line. Is one per 5-gallon carboy sufficient?

Latest posts

Back