Cellar Craft Oak Cubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSNET

Junior
Reaction score
Hello
I currently have a batch of Pinotage going. Instructions say to add the oak cubes during the clearing phase, but I am thinking of adding them during secondary fermentation.
Any thoughts?
Jim

I would follow the directions that came with your kit. If they felt it woiuld work in the secondary then they would have said that. Remember the kit mfgrs have tested it and this is what they reccomend. If you look at different kits they may have a little different directions.

I think the instructions to add the cubes after the fermenting phase is because fermenting wine will be warmer than wine that has been
through the primary fermentation. If you add oak
during active fermentation the increase in temperature could
cause you to get too much oak essence in a hurry. I think that is why it is suggested to add oak after you have racked off of the gross lees. Also, at that time you won't have to deal with strange smells of fermentation or thick lees as you try to decide when you have added the right amount of oak.

I have also heard that wine that has a high ABV absorbs oak essence faster than those that are not. The reason is that water is not as good a solvent as alcohol. Therefore, you can quickly over-oak higher
alcohol wines. More frequent test tastes are necessary.

oaking during ferment and/or during aging is an ongoing issue of debate....some believe its best during ferment because as mentioned temp and other factors play a unique part ...others like it done after during longer agings....some do both

in my view, kit makers like it during ferment or clearing because that is the best place for what the product they have designed...and will yield the best result for the home wine maker...

some winemakers only oak during ferment...in my wine making, i have done both

in the end its your stylistic/taste choice

my opinion

Latest posts

Back