Oak Chips in wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewanfish

Reaction score
I was just reading in another thread that you some times use Oak Chips:<, what kind of taste does this give to the wine, i only smoke fish & bits & bobs with the oak chips i have, if i burnt the chips slightly would that be ok to add to the must or would that spoil the fruit wines as that is the only type ive tried to make so far.

1st Oak in wine are different than you use to smoke meat/fish.
Oak can leave a smoother taste and a vanilla flavor. Most reds are oaked. So, I would suggest you try oaking some of your reds with Wine chips.

I see, i better not use the chips i have then as these white oak chips are from a joiner place, Thanks anyway for the info will stick to the fruit wines not made any red yet maybe in the next few months.

Oak can also add a nice flavor to some fruit wines like black currant, blackberry and elderberry for more depth and also some needed tannins to help the wine shelve longer.

You could create your own chips as a test.. .

1) make sure that the oak is raw (no finish or preservatives at all)

2) take large chunks and roast them in the oven at 425 until you can smell oak aromas.

johnT.

Latest posts

Back