Oak Chip question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterH

Junior
Reaction score
Rather new to putting oak chips in my kits.

I put the oak chips in the primary. After a week or so I rack into a glass carboy. Do you bring the oak with it when you rack or do you leave them behind on the first racking?

One kit I have had a sock included. The other did not. I can not see emptying the sock into the secondary. But I can see my way clear of siphoning in the oak chips.

Thanks for reading.
Peter

Rather new to putting oak chips in my kits.

I put the oak chips in the primary. After a week or so I rack into a glass carboy. Do you bring the oak with it when you rack or do you leave them behind on the first racking?

One kit I have had a sock included. The other did not. I can not see emptying the sock into the secondary. But I can see my way clear of siphoning in the oak chips.

Thanks for reading.
Peter

Most kit instructions tell you if you are to transfer or take the oak chips out.
Oak chips give up all their oak fairly quickly. By the end of primary fermentation, they will likely be spent. However, if you think they still might have a little oak left, take them out of primary, rinse them off well and add them to the secondary. Or you can add some additional, new chips to secondary, if you are a true oak monster, like many of us. Rather than add new chips to secondary, you can wait and add them in while your wine is clearing. I prefer to do the latter, so I can more easily taste test every once in a while.

You wrote about the sock; most paint stores and places like Home Depot sell paint strainer bags made of nylon. They are great for holding things like oak and grape skins. You can buy more than one size and they don't cost but pennies. Be sure to sanitize them before use.

If the chips are enclosed in a bag, they generally still come out of a carboy easily. That way you don't stop up your siphon so easily.

Last edited:
Oak chips (to me anyway) do not need to be transferred to the carboy. Oak cubes/beans/spirals are a different matter.

I have put oak cubes in the primary, racked to carboy, and then scooped the cubes out of the primary in a colander, rinsed them off, and then added them to the carboy. This can result in over oaking the wine, depending on your tastes, and how long you leave the cubes & wine in the carboy.

Other people do not put the cubes/beans/spirals in the primary, but save them for the carboy.

BTW, I don't use the sock for oak, or fruit, or grape skins. Just my way.

Steve

I agree, chips and dust do not get transferred but cubes, spirals, and staves will sometimes or usually get transferred.

Many Thanks folks. That cleared it up nicely. It was what I thought. Just good to know what others have done. Just for the record. I have started 3 different kits and all had chips included. None of the instructions mentioned to remove them or to leave them in. They were from two different manufactures.

Again many thanks for your help.
Cheers Peter

I don't rack over my oak cubes - although i don't like an over oaked wine. 2 weeks in the primary - and it is just where i like it.

Many Thanks folks. That cleared it up nicely. It was what I thought. Just good to know what others have done. Just for the record. I have started 3 different kits and all had chips included. None of the instructions mentioned to remove them or to leave them in. They were from two different manufactures.

Again many thanks for your help.
Cheers Peter

I know what you say about the instructions; sometimes they could have a little more detail, especially when a person is just starting out. (Reading between the lines,) I would think that if the instructions don't mention racking the chips over to secondary, it is a good bet they are considered spent and should be left out of secondary.

robie - Thats a good point. If its not mentioned then don't do it

Thanks all for your help.

Back