nutrients

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

touchtoomuch

Reaction score
Here a while back I had an issue with what I think was H2s... On this forum Jack Keller said I needed to use a high nitrogen nutrient when using RC212 Yeast. i think his recommendation was Fermaid k or 2133. Well, after looking at some of the explanations of these products online it looks like they dont contain much nitrogen content. What does everybody else use when using RC212 on country style fruit wines and when are you adding them and at what amounts. The only thing I feel comfortable using is Ld Carlson yeast nutrient because recipes call for nutrient and that is what it is. All of the other products I see on the market i cant wrap my hands around them as far as their use. I dont want to buy, use the wrong thing, or add the wrong amount of something I'm unfamiliar with.... Thanks

The standard Yeast Nutrient is a high nitrogen nutrient for yeasts. It contains DAP or Di-Ammonium Phosphate. It isn't expensive at all and can be used reliably for all types of wine and yeasts to help prevent stuck fermentations.

When ever making a country wine I always add both nutrient and energizer. I always add 1/2 the nutrient and all the energizer up front and then the other 1/2 of nutrient at approx. 1.035 which is about 1/2 way through fermentation. This will help the yeast thrive and not cannibalize the dead yeast cells that cause off flavors from stressing the yeast.

Wade, What if the recipe doesn't call for energizer.Do you go by the label on the energizer and just cut what is says to add per gallon in half?

Most recipes are so old its amazing they even list nutrients. Unless its a grape wine, almost every other fruit is lacking in what a yeast strain needs. I always add 1 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp of energizer per gallon. 1/ 2 the nutrient up front and the other 1/2 when 1/2 the fermentation is done as this is typically right before the fermentation gets sluggish. It will always slow down as the yeast strain is slowly being overcome by abv or just running out of sugar. I use the Fermax and all always goes well and have never had an off smell. Knock on wood!

TTM,

Remember that after about 10% alcohol, yeast do not uptake nutrients. Like Wade said, it's a good idea to add the nutrients (nitrogen) at an 8-10 degree drop in Brix. Different yeast have different nitrogen requirements, so trust your hydrometer and check the manufacturer's recommendations for yeast nutrients as well.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back