Nutrient deficiency?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blumentopferde

Reaction score
Some of my vines show strange symptoms:
At a corner of my vineyard the red varieties get red leaves, the white varieties get yellow leaves. It only affects older leaves, the younger ones look healthy. I wonder if this is some kind of nutrient deficiency.

What do you think?

Pierce's disease is very unlikely. I'm in central Europe and have never heard of any such cases over here!

I don't know for sure what it is, but I have seen such leaves before usually fairly late in the growing season as the vines mature for the year. You might try to see about taking a petiole sample and that will tell you what is deficient.

I don't know for sure what it is, but I have seen such leaves before usually fairly late in the growing season as the vines mature for the year. You might try to see about taking a petiole sample and that will tell you what is deficient.

I'm actually to greedy at the moment to pay for that. If the problem persists then I'll take a sample!

I didn't realize you were in Europe. However, there is a symposium about the bacteria that causes pierce's disease infecting olives in Europe. I would not rule it out and would encourage you to follow grapeman's advice and get a petiole test done.

http://www.crsa.it/international-sy...iosa-in-olive-2013-locorotondo-october-23-24

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Well I hope that this is not the case! But I don't think so as there are many vineyards around, and none of them have these symptoms...

I have a Zin vine that looks very similar in amongst perfectly healthy growing vines. Burnt edges, discoloration, new growth is ok but too slow. It became more pronounced after a short dry spell. Best I could figure was aluminum uptake because of my subsoil which tests at 4.9 around two feet deep. I applied the nettle manure and copious amounts of gypsum to bind up the aluminum. We shall see over time I guess. I don't have the matchstick tell-tale sign for PD.

Thanks for your reply! Maybe it's the same problem!

I guess I'll use some fertilizer this year and if the vines continue making trouble next year, I'll have to spend a 100$ on leaf and soil tests...

Perhaps potassium deficiency. I've been researching a similar issue.

After applying a very small amount triple 13 to my Sangiovese vine a few weeks back I decided to add a sprinkle to the Zin as well. The Sangiovese vine sprung to life and probably grew about 10 feet of new vine in the past 3 weeks. I guess some scions just need more nutrients. I'm a fan of grapey Zin and couldn't stand to watch it struggle any longer :)

To make my point, this is my Cab vines year two with no chemical fertilizer.

140727_0014.jpg

Latest posts

Back