Nutrient amounts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I'm about to start my first batch of mead. It will be a straight mead using raspberry blossom honey, and I'm planning to make 1 gallon. I will be using D47 to ferment it. My question is about how many nutrients to add (I will be using fermaid k and DAP). Some ressources seem to indicate that the amount of nutrients depend on batch size, not on the amount of yeast used. Is that correct? If I pitch one package of D47 in 1 gallon of must, will I be using fewer nutrients than if I was pitching it in 5 gallons?

I regularly use this combination. And follow package instructions per gallon.
Partially to ease note keeping, but my belief is that its the dilution that matters most.
I also very much recommend researching step feeding.
I was mandated by Mrs. Meadmaker to get my stinking primaries out of her house.
After starting a step program and doing primay In a bucket I could ster twice a day I managed to pull off three batches without her being aware.
I switch to carboy when the fizz declines noticeably.
I also beleive it speeds fermantation witch ive discovered through advice here and research that quicker fermantation reduces nessassary aging for meads.

Is that a 12 step program? :?. But to be serious, I am not sure that a faster fermentation means the need for less aging. Fast fermentations can mean the production of fusels and that can take ... um ... years to clear. Lower ABV meads require less aging and they may finish faster but that is only because there is less sugar for the yeast to plow through.

I may be mistaken as to exactly what is happening perhaps its the co2 release from stirring that I am experiencing. No / less bubbles sticking to my hydrometer allowing it to sink farther and being more degassed faster/sooner.
By step. Im adding small amounts of nunutrients every second day three times and adding ferm sid O at two thirds suger break.. but I dont claim to have this perfected and recomend researching it for your own regiment.
In my research it has been suggested that longer fermentation was the cause of fusals and aldyhides in meads but ill go read again
Still fermantation bucket and regular stirring will remain part of my program.

Back