Norton Grapes Ready

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron22

Reaction score
I got a call today the Norton grapes are ready (Early this year)
Now the problem is I can not pick them up for a week(Still on vine) Grower said If he still has any I can have them. If he does not sell or the birds do not eat them all.
Question is if the grapes are left on the vines an extra week is there any problems or do I need to get them this weekend and find someone with a freezer with room for 100lbs of grapes to store them.

Another week on the vine could do good, unless the birds get them of course. My Nortons are currently at 20 brix, so I'm hoping to get them up near 23-24 before I harvest. Last week they were at 17 brix. The more they sweeten, the less acid, and norton is an acidic grape in general.

It's really according to what your grapes are currently at brix-wise, did the grower happen to tell you?

It's really according to what your grapes are currently at brix-wise, did the grower happen to tell you?

No and I did not ask. They are in MO and I know other grapes are early this year. I know last week when he told me the brix was in the teens.

My advice then is if you think this is your chance to get them, then do so. If you think you can wait a week, I think you'll be ok then too. If they were in teens in brix last week, I don't think they will be rotten next week. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

The big thing is the birds, they can strip a small vineyard clean in no time. You will have more of a chance of them turning to raisins than rotting if the birds don't get them.
Where in Missouri are you getting them?
FYI 100# of norton is 4 5 gallon buckets with stems, 2 5 gallon buckets de stemed. Between the skin and seeds that will be between 5 and 6 gallons of wine.

Where in Missouri are you getting them?
If I tould you the birds may not be the only thing I need to wory about :)Send me a PM and I will let you know.
FYI 100# of norton is 4 5 gallon buckets with stems, 2 5 gallon buckets de stemed. Between the skin and seeds that will be between 5 and 6 gallons of wine.
5-6 gallons of wine was what I was hoping for.

I could find someone with a destemer/crusher in St Louis area.
Then stop at a Supply shop in Hillsboro and buy 2 5 gallon buckets and some yeast and hope it ferments slow. So It can make it home to my press and carboys.

Back