Noob question about new wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcsgamer

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new wine maker that just finished bottling this kind of wine kit:

http://store.defalcowines.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=20925&category_id=430

I followed the directions to the letter..except for the part where it says "bottle and wait for 2-3 months before consuming". I consumed because I just couldn't wait to try it ;P

The question I have is that it tastes a bit...well..not "watery", but like there is no "bite" to it, or no "character". Sorry...it's very hard to describe what I taste, or...don't taste in this case. It smells fine, and once and a while you'll get a hint of what could be there.

Fact is, I've never tasted wine this young before, so I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing is the fact that I didn't wait that 2-3 months.

To you vets out there: is this normal?

My bet is that the addition of some tannin would have helped. Is the mouthfeel a little weak, non descrip?

Yes. A bit thin non-discrip for sure. I buy a lot of Pino at the store, and this falls short of expectations. The wine is ok, but I'm sure it could be better.

The optimist in me is thinking "give it 3 months", but another voice is saying "did I just make 28 bottles of crappy wine?" ;P

It would be a bummer if this is what happens in this type of wine kit.

I did add oak chips to it for the primary fermentation cycle. Is this what you mean?

Did you follow all the directions? If so, did you follow their schedule?

Wine kits need a lot more time than the schedule indicates, they are trying to get the wine out of your carboy so you will buy another kit! I won't bottle for 6 months and rarely drink before 1 year.

Time is the best ingredient you can add to wine.

Did you follow all the directions? If so, did you follow their schedule?

Wine kits need a lot more time than the schedule indicates, they are trying to get the wine out of your carboy so you will buy another kit! I won't bottle for 6 months and rarely drink before 1 year.

Time is the best ingredient you can add to wine.

Yup. Followed the directions to the letter (can't do much else as I'm new tho this). Primary ferm was about 7-9 days. Secondary was about 2 weeks. Before bottling, it sat there for another 2 weeks. About 5 weeks in total.

My intuition says give it more time, but...like I said...I have no clue what wine should taste like 5 weeks after being made. The store bought wine is 2-3 years after its made and that usually tastes just fine.

From the description at the link you provided, time is probably going to be needed. But this will NEVER be a forward wine like you are seeking. For that, look to descriptive kit terms like "bold" and "big" or "fruit-forward" and "tannic."

"Silky" and "subtle" are clues to milder wines.

Also, if this is a 6-gallon kit and you think you basically like this wine but want it to be more intense, then make it to 5 gallons next time.

Another idea for reds or whites is to buy a package of red grape concentrate or white wine concentrate and use that as an adjunct after the wine is stabilized with sorbate. This does not work with all types, though, as not all flavors are complementary with it and it does add sweetness.

Sold lots of places, but here are examples:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/wine...ource=google&gclid=CPOl-PvD-8QCFYEkgQodb00AAA

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...1-litre.html?gclid=CLDN5ZbE-8QCFcIdgQodrT0Ayw

You are starting out, and as much as the kit sellers want you to believe it, making a kit wine is not like ordering at McDonald's. You can't expect the same thing every time just by making all the right moves. There is skill and palate to be developed as a vintner. That's the fun part. Everyone on here has made disappointing wines. There is one way to learn, and that is by the learning curve. It can be steep at first but rewarding in the end. Keep going. It's more rewarding than just buying a bottle at the store. When you buy, you are simply a consumer. When you ferment, you are a creator.

Last edited:
AS it has been bottled, seems to me you are going to have to live with it. YOu may be able to add a finishing tannin to each bottle but you must do some bench trials.

I think time will improve it a good bit.

I recommend you make some skeeter pee (aka dragon blood) for a quick drinker and then make another kit of a red wine. Let it age as long as possible.

TCS,

Everybody here made that first kit wine and was a) impatient, b) excited, c)a bit let down, and d) ultimately amazed; "I MADE this."

Pinot is a difficult grape even for professionals. It too was my first purchase, because I like you love the varietal. Mine went into the fermenter last fall, and I have yet to bottle it.

Find another kit, perhaps one that includes some skins and oak powder and/ or cubes, and you'll get a bigger bolder wine.

Congratulations on getting your first batch into bottles!

Best, Fran

add some tartaric acid.

I had the same problem after doing the white wine kits and added some tartaric acid(juice from grape skins) and voila you now have lovely wine with :)body

We are new also to this hobby, since December. Your wine will get better in time. We have made a couple of kits and that has been the case. Just be prepared to be come addictive to this hobby. Welcome to the forum.

Latest posts

Back