no change in hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been making wine for a number of years but never ran into this. We have both sage and apple mint wines in secondaries. Started at about 1.1. Now both are down to about 1.03. They appear to be cooking away (lots of bubbling in the airlock) but the hydro readings have not changed in a week. Used turbo yeast.

Anyone have any ideas why this is?

Down to 1.030 or 1.003?

What is the alcohol tolerance of turbo yeast?

That yeast should bring it down to dry. With your readings not changing it almost sounds like the yeast has quit and it is degassing. What is your temperature in the wine? Sometimes if it gets too cool it will slow way down or maybe quit and be stuck. I would almost bet it is too cool and it has slowed down. One more thing, "Welcome to the forum." Arne.

Welcome to the forum!

At SG 1.030 my wines will still be "cooking" but have always moved lower to dry over the course of ~ another 7 days. I can see why you're here trying to figure it out.

Thanks for the info everyone. Still not sure what's going on. Been bubbling away for 8 days now and little or no change in hydrometer. Will rack again and see if that changes things.

Thanks for the info everyone. Still not sure what's going on. Been bubbling away for 8 days now and little or no change in hydrometer. Will rack again and see if that changes things.

That's an important difference, little or no.

If little, I would give it nutrient.

If no, I would give it new yeast.

Back