newbie questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekern1015

Reaction score
I have narrowed it down to a 2 varieties of grapes they are Edelweiss and Traminette variety. I live in SLC UTAH and had questions about the heat for these grapes. Everything I see concerns the cold but what about the 3 months every summer were the temp is in the mid to upper 90's with little or no humidity. Also when laying out my vines to plant should the rows be north and south for less resistance when the wind blows or does it matter. Thats all for now more questions to follow and thanks for all your advice.

I have narrowed it down to a 2 varieties of grapes they are Edelweiss and Traminette variety. I live in SLC UTAH and had questions about the heat for these grapes. Everything I see concerns the cold but what about the 3 months every summer were the temp is in the mid to upper 90's with little or no humidity. Also when laying out my vines to plant should the rows be north and south for less resistance when the wind blows or does it matter. Thats all for now more questions to follow and thanks for all your advice.

If planting vines, I would get my soil analyzed and then consult your local agricultural department (at your local university or perhaps town hall). They often can recommend a best varietal.

Do you know how many growing degree days you have? That could be helpful too!

I don't know anything about the varieties you're going to plant, but very high temperatures and lots of sunshine lead to low acidity and high sugar content. Good, but especially in white varieties this can quickly be too much. You then get blunt tasting wines that are prone to deterioration due to their lack of acidity.

As you're going to plant white, cold hardy varieties, that were bred for cool environments, that might be a problem. I don't think that the vines will be damaged by the heat though as vines usually love heat...

both of these grapes have and are being grown in Kansas where the temps can be in the 100's. Granted this is not the best environment but proper pruning, canopy management and proper nutrition can bring in good grapes. proper monitoring in the fall for acid content will also give you the acidity you need. I believe that Edelweiss need to be picked early around 16 brix because if it left to hang longer it will get the foxy flavor similar to Concord. you need to check this latter fact.

I llive in Riverton, and grow Baco Noir, Seybal Blanc, Pinot Gris and Cabernet. I have a friend who grows Riesling, Merlot, and Cab Franc in Layton. All your concerns can be addressed by the way you prun. The heat and cold here, so far for me, have not been an issue. The soil is a big concern. More than likley your in heavy clay soil, and have a problem with drainage. North and south rows do work best here with our south winds, but my new vineyard has east west rows. I dont know much about the vines you plan to plant. But I would do a lot of reasearch, and talk to those on this site that grow them. Good Luck!

If you have heavy clay soil Traminer might be a good choice (although not disease tolerant). Where I live the soil is like concrete when dry but the Traminer wines are exceptionally good. Climate in Europe is much less extreme though...

Maybe the same applies for Traminette, maybe not...

Latest posts

Back