WineXpert Newbie question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrancis80

Junior
Reaction score
Got a wine kit for Christmas. Instructions said to mix everything in warm water. Being a beer brewer, I just HAD to boil the water! Bottom line, the water wasVERY hot when I mixed everything in rather than warm.
I had searched forums and websites and couldn't find anything warning against it, so is this a bad idea? Everything sure disolves nicely with the water that hot. Currently wating for it to cool to pitch yeast. Thanks,
Dan

Everything except the sorbate I hope. Please list which kit you have
started and what you have mixed in to the must and welcome to this
forum!

Thanks for the response. It is a Riesling using SunCal concentrate. I first added the sugar (6.5 lbs) to bring the temp down some then acid blend, yeast nutrient, tannin,and lastthe concentrate. In retrospect I wish I would have waited on the concentrate as I wouldn't want to damage any flavor. Thanks again, Dan

Welcome Dan,

I personally would not add boiling water to grape concentrate, but I really don't believe you have harmed anything; I'm just a stickler for following the instructions with a kit or concentrate. Many folks on this forum use steamers to extract juice from Muscadines and have no complaints with the heating of the juice. Keep us posted on the progress of your wine.

Welcome Dan:

I use a steamer, and when the juice comes out it is boiling hot. I try to mix cold water in with it, to cool it some before I add anything else. I do add it when it warm, and I agree it helps everything dissolve...

If you read the posts on this website you will see how VITAL it is to follow the directions with the kit wines.....There is no in between as a beginner...Follow the directions to a T and you will be pleasently suprised how good the fruits of your labor really are!
smiley2.gif

As to following instructions, there is no mention of stirring the must, however in the book I have it is emphasized to stir must twice daily. I haveNOT been stirring and after 3 days of fermenting I havejust a few small patches of foam swirling around on the surface. I know there is activity because the patches are swirling. So my next question is whether to stir or not? Thanks again for your help! Dan

Once it starts fermenting, you do not need to stir the must. The fermentation process provides all the mixing you need at this point.

When you first start your must there should have been a lot of stirring at that point. When you add the water to top up to 6 gallons you are support to stir well to ensure an even mix before checking the SG.

There will be other times to stir later on, when you stabilize and fine. Sounds like you are doing good for now.

I usually just follow the instructions. Some of the kits have me stir at least once a day for four days during the fermentation stage, and others don't mention any additional stirring during the fermentation stage. If I'm in any doubt though I do ask here on this forum and always get help.

Back