Newbie Post- Brix vs SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyB

Junior
Reaction score
I have been reading in the wings for several weeks now and have my first questions. Due to overhead space limitations, I would like to sample my wines using the Brix method as opposed to using a Thief. Using a small pippet to take samples and then use my Refractometer will allow me to miss my overhead cabinets, thus allowing maximum area for my Carboys. I tried my first batch primary fermentation this way and used various conversion tables to convert Brix to SP. Each conversion table gave me a different SP, so I'm not confident that this is the way to go.

Long-story-short, is the Refractometer (Brix) method accurate enough to use for the primary and secondary fermentations?

I have an Aspirator for racking and degassing, so I shouldn't have space problems with the other steps, just the testing of the Alcohol content.

Sorry I don't have a more intriguing question for my first, but this won't be my last posting.

Thanks in advance,

As the sugars are converted to alcohol, brix readings begin to skew- or are less accurate. There are conversion tables- but they are primarily for beer that take this into account. It would be best if you could figure a way to take SG readings instead.

Welcome RandyB! I dont know if a refractometer is the way to go once the fermentation has begun as I dont use 1, I use a hydrometer which is a very cheap tool and is very accurate for wine making.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5451 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Ctrip_hydro_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Triple Hydrometer Specific grav, Potential ETOH, Sugar

SG scale 0.78-1.150; potential ABV scale 0-16%; sugar per liter scale 0-34.
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$5.99</td></tr></t></table>I actually use the Thermohydromter as you cn tell the temp at the same time but it is a few more bucks.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5452 </td>
%5Cimages%5C5452_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Thermohydrometer

Temperature 0-120° F; SG scale 0.850-1.160; potential ABV scale 0-20%; balling scale 0-35.
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$14.99</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table>

You can use it during fermentation. Just do a little math and your good to go.

Here is the formula
smiley18.gif

Formula for compensation of ethanol effect on refractometer: SG=1.001843-0.002318474(OB)-0.000007775(OB^2)-0.000000034(OB^3)+0.00574(AB) +0.00003344(AB^2)+0.000000086(AB^3)
SG = Specific Gravity, OB = Original Brix, AB = Actual Brix (Brix Readings During Fermentation)

Seriously though, it can be done but variables are out there. For example, I found out the hydrometer I have is not very accurate. I have compared it against 3 hydrometers that all get the same reading on a sample and got various Brix readings. Mine is supposed to be ATC but evidently they forgot to install that option as the readings will vary widely even at lower temps.

I tried it a while back on a batch of beer during the boil to see when I hit target gravity. I started at an 8 Brix at the end of the mash. I boiled for an hour and at end of the boil I had a Brix of 8.2 which is pretty well impossible. I checked a sample with the hydrometer and the Brix should of been around 12. I tried it again on my net brew and it was 3 points off. I then threw it in the trash can. Back to the hydrometer again although I did order a better quality refractometer and will see how it works.

I had read that once fermentation begins, the Brix – SP relationship is skewed. The formula that I was toying with indicated that it compensated for the fermentation. But again, my Brix conversions to SP were not consistent with my Hydrometer readings. I might add that the conversions were MS Excel worksheets I located on the web. As Smurfe illustrated, I wasn’t about to manually convert the two!
Oh well, I’ll have to find a way to sample so I can continue utilizing the Hydrometer.
Thanks for the feedback,

Wine thief!
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5432 </td>
%5Cimages%5Cthief_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Wine Thief/Test Jar Combo Fermtech

Releases wine back into the carboy</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$8.49</td></tr></t></table>This is what i use and even if the wine is too shallow all you have to do is jig it up and down in the shallow carboy and it will keep filling up.

Latest posts

Back