Newbie mistake?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montresor

Junior
Reaction score
So I thought I was smelling rotten egg after I transferred it to a secondary and put the air lock on. It was about two hours after that I noticed it. I splash racked it and added a campden tab but didn't smell the rotten egg smell. After I put the lock on after a while it started again. I then realized I filled the lock with campden water. I am guessing that is the smell. Any thoughts?

Do you have a wine thief? You could take a sample and give it a good sniff test away from the airlock. Was your primary open or airlocked? What are you making? Skeeter pee will give off sulfer smells with lack of O2. Was the dog in the room with you? They are sneeky devils.

No dog and it smells fine when I take some out with the thief. It is a a white grape juice cherry using welches. I think I am over worrying about my first batch

Think about what you are asking of the grape juice...you are actually rotting it under controlled conditions. It will smell.

We get so used to it that it smells wonderful to us!

Think about what you are asking of the grape juice...you are actually rotting it under controlled conditions. It will smell.

We get so used to it that it smells wonderful to us!

I agree. It's probably still too early for the sulphur smell to be of a concern. If it is sulphur smell, which i understand is not the case here, it should clear with the aging.

If you are smelling sulpher don't add sulfite as it will exacerbate the issue. A sanitized copper rod and a splash rack.

As a rule, add your campden at the beginning, wait for 24 hrs, then pitch the yeast. After that, don't add any more until the ferment is finished, both primary and secondary. It is supposed to stun the yeast and if your ferment is winding down or if the campden is really good it can slow down or completely stop the ferment. Good luck with it, and have fun. Arne.

If your wine starts to smell like Sulfur during fermentation, it is probably hydrogen sulfide that is being produced by the yeast during the fermentation, it can be a result of fermenting at a high temp and the yeast using up all of the nutrients.
The easiest way to avoid this is adding yeast nutrient in two or three applications starting when fermentation takes off and the two following days (this is when fermentation is the strongest), I use fermaid K.
If the wine smells like sulfur after fermentation, splash rack a few times and it should clear up nice.

Latest posts

Back