WineXpert Newbie Equipment questions.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike777

Reaction score
We got a cheaper equipment kit under the assumption that we would pick up better items as we went along. Did get a two handle corker though. The kit never came with the traditional spoon so I shaped a stir stick from good oak and cleaned and sanitized it.

Now we need advice before going to the local store again. Its a busy place so I can't expect them to give me all afternoon when so many people come and go.

1. Three peice airlock. Change it to a double bubble? It seems to work OK.

2. I know I need a drill stirrer. Any special favorite type or shape?

3. No measure vial so I used the tester tube after sanitizing. I think I want the tester/theif combo. Yea or nea?

4. Looks like a cheaper bottle filler with a black no spring tip. Upgrade to a different model?

5. I read the carboy handle message on another thread. Carboy cart useful?

6. Suggestions for other items?

Thanks in advance.

Any airlock will work although I like the twisty S shaped one so I can
monitor the bubbles.The bubbles tell me where I am during the process!
As I stated in the other post, get the stainless steel mix-stir as it
will never break as the plastic one eventually will and likely when you
need it most! Definetly get the wine thief. I use the thief as my test
vial. I like the spring bottle filler but have never tried the other. I
dont care for the Orange handle myself, I have a few but they get in
the way of the Orange racking caps. I want to get the carboy tote for
myself. A bottle tree and sulfiter will ease bottling
dramatically!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are alot of items I would purchase
differently if I were to start all over like a floor corker but what
you have will get you by with the addition of a few items,

1. Airlocks - No preference, the both work.

2. A stainless steel drill mounted stirrer is the best choice.

3 The Wne/Thief combo works well. The plastic test jar is better.

4. The Buon Vino Auto Bottle filler is the way to go. Much less spillage.

5. I don't have a carboy cart, but I have handles on all my carboys. After I broke one, the wife insisted on ALL carboys have handles.

6. Bottle washer, bottle rinser (vinator) and draining tree. You spend more time cleaning and sanitizing, so make it easy.

This is just a simple suggestion, but it works great. I couldn't find anything long enough to put my thief, long plastic spoon and auto siphon in to sanitize it with the K Meta. Had a brilliant idea while sampling my first batch of wine!! Pick up a plastic wall paper tray, everything fits in it and it easily holds a couple gallons of K Meta if you want to submerge all your stuff. Couldn't find one at Home Depot or Loews, found one at Sherwin Williams paint store for less than $4.00.

Mike777 said:
1. Three peice airlock. Change it to a double bubble? It seems to work OK. I have both. I prefer the bubble because you can tell when there is C02 still escaping, but either will do the job.

2. I know I need a drill stirrer. Any special favorite type or shape? I've broken two of the plastic ones, butI hear they're making them stainless steel these days so look for that. This is anecessary item for sure.

3. No measure vial so I used the tester tube after sanitizing. I think I want the tester/theif combo. Yea or nea? I would go with a separate thief and tester jar. I find it mucheasier to take the SGreading whenI fill the testing tube (jar) all the way and let a little wine go over the sides when putting the hydrometer in (the reading will be above the rim of the tube)it's hard todo that usingthe thief as your testing jar.

4. Looks like a cheaper bottle filler with a black no spring tip. Upgrade to a different model? The cheap bottle filler is all I've ever used and it works fine.I would like some type of automatic filler, but if you're concerned about cost get the simple one for now.

5. I read the carboy handle message on another thread. Carboy cart useful? If you have a lot of floor space to cover when moving carboys it might be useful. I don't have a need for one. The handles are a must have of course.

6. Suggestions for other items? What have you purchased so far? I suggest you take a look at George's starter kits for ideas of what you'll need. I've looked through many a catalog and his are, by far, the most complete I've seen. A lot of starter kits at other stores have crap you don't need and a lot of times don't even have the right size fermenter so be careful. After taking a look, repost with more questions.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wine-making-kits.htm

Thanks in advance.
Edited by: sangwitch

Well Thanks for all the suggestions. It would have been much simpler If I found the forum and the store before it was already in motion and getting racked the first time. Getting the kit from here would have saved a trip and would have had pretty much everything we needed to proceed properly instead of being in the shape we are in now.

Should probably set this as a sticky topic for other folks that are just starting and already blew it with the wrong equipment set up.

The equipment kit here is exactly what you need:

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetKits.asp?PartNumber=1009

Edited by: Mike777

I think the list is good. but you'll want or need another carboy before too long.

The mix-stir for drill operation is good, but DON'T run your drill on the high speed setting, use the low. My drill has to much torque and spun the metal shaft out of the plastic shaft. It's under warranty, butI hate to damage equipment from excessive use, power, etc

Before long you'll need bottles, corks and a place to sore your bottles while they age.

THEN you'll need to have a party invote your friends over to sample what you made.

My stainless steel on is all metal except for the stopper which is
supposed to be free kind of like a depth stop and bearing! Nothing to
spin out of.

The kit came with corks and we saved about 10 bottles and will pick up 2 cases. I'm sure some of the ones we saved have lips the corker wont like.

We have a 38 bottle rack that has been empty since we moved here to seattle. My wifes mom lives in sonoma on highway 12 so we were in good shape till we moved.

I am short on cash, so about the time we need the gear I will only have a day to stop at the local store, or I would just get the missing items from George here. It wouldn't make it by the time I ordered.

I'm trying to not get too many carboys. I have one now but I only have room for a total of 4 for long term aging and making so I have to be careful. The space is in the bottm of the winebar I made. My wife let me do the primary in the dining room, so I waas careful to air the house before she got home everyday. I would like to build a small primary cabinet with some sort of odor trap so I can keep doing it in the house.
smiley36.gif

Mike, a lot of good sugestions from a lot of good folks. I must agree with George on all, but particularly #4, the Buon Vino Auto Bottle filler. I have one for over a year now and wouldn't think of bottling without it.

Might I also recommend a MityVac for degassing.

However, My biggest suggestion would be to THROW THAT WOODEN SPOON AWAY! It is to porouse and will house more bacteria and critters than you could imagine. Unless your leaving it in te carboy for Oak flavor purposes, I wouldn't recommend using that! Get a plastic spoon (under $4 most places).Edited by: jobe05

Plymouthpete said:
This is just a simple suggestion, but it works great. I couldn't find anything long enough to put my thief, long plastic spoon and auto siphon in to sanitize it with the K Meta. Had a brilliant idea while sampling my first batch of wine!! Pick up a plastic wall paper tray, everything fits in it and it easily holds a couple gallons of K Meta if you want to submerge all your stuff. Couldn't find one at Home Depot or Loews, found one at Sherwin Williams paint store for less than $4.00.

I made one from sch 40 pvc pipe with a cap on one end and a screw plug on the other. Works great.Edited by: Waldo

Waldo said:
Plymouthpete said:
This is just a simple suggestion, but
it works great. I couldn't find anything long enough to put my
thief, long plastic spoon and auto siphon in to sanitize it with the K
Meta. Had a brilliant idea while sampling my first batch of
wine!! Pick up a plastic wall paper tray, everything fits in it
and it easily holds a couple gallons of K Meta if you want to submerge
all your stuff. Couldn't find one at Home Depot or Loews, found
one at Sherwin Williams paint store for less than $4.00.

I made one from sch 40 pvc pipe with a cap on one end and a screw plug on the other. Works great.

I heard of the pvc holder on another forum but didnt know you had one Waldo.

First of all I just wanted to stop right here and say thank you to everyone that has assisted, both my wife and myself, on our new hobby, and for being so polite and instructive when it was needed most. I don't have a clue as to how such a great group of folks came together on the web, but its very refreshing. Could it be the wine?

Here are some pics from Sammamish Washington. If anyone here is in our local area please drop us a line, or a PM. We would both love to hear from ya, and possibly swap stories, bottles, or just sit around the firepit on a cool summer eve.

Here is the panic inducing first batch, doing just fine. Also our sad empty rack and the 4 bottle kit. It apears to be from the early 1990s before the internet since I found a mail in order blank. It started perking yeasterday.
20070318_101142_rack.jpg

20070318_100854_first_kit.jpg

You may have noticed the second carboy that we didn't have yesterday. Well that's because we bought an island mist kit when we were looking for the stainless stirrer which they don't carry. We were very lucky to get the last plastic drill stir with folding wings, since we are out of time on the first kit.

20070318_102217_newkit.jpg

This is our wine bar. It used to be a very large entertainment center, then one night when we were looking at it I went out and got the saw.....Cut it up right there in the middle of the floor. ( If you ever sawed off one peice of furniture to make another peice of furniture, and you didn't take it outside..... Well you might be a redneck) I did recover somewhat with a nice travertine and oak framed top though. Its getting a chrome or brass foot rail as soon as we decide if the estate opener is gettting mounted there or not.
20070318_103157_wine_bar.jpg

20070318_103058_new_top.jpg

Edited by: Mike777

I like it- good use of space! Nothing wrong with a little Redneck ingenuity. Ranks right up there with Yankee thriftiness! You are certainly prepared to sample the wine as you make it!

I love the bar setup. Now all you need is a carboy straw and you won't even have to bottle!

Move something out of the living room to cut it up? That would just be a waste of energy!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back