Newb needs Help. Low PH and Low TA?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRM850

60% Clueless
Reaction score
This is a red Muscadine that started with frozen grapes that we harvested last year. I diluted the must with distilled water to bring the TA down to .65% before fermenting. I added raw cane sugar to bring the SG to 1.1. Lalviin 1118 yeast. My first recognized mistake was not adding pectic enzyme in the beginning. Fermentation went as expected up to about 14.5%. TA measured around 1.1% at this point. I added a malolactic culture and racked after a week. TA was at .8% PH was right around 3.6 according to test strips. The color was deep at this point. I added bentonite clay waited a week and racked. Color was still good but not much change in the haze. I did a Sparkoloid treatment waited a week and racked. Not much change in the haze. Color seemed to be holding steady. It finally dawned on me that the haze was pectin so I added pectic enzyme and voila, the haze dropped. The color changed.

This leads us to today where I now have a copper colored wine with a PH that reads 3.0 on a meter and 3.2 with test strips. The TA tests out at 5.5%. How did I get here and can I raise both numbers at the same time? Should I stabilize now before I get the PH and acid adjusted? What effect will back sweetening have on PH and acid numbers?
GO0Ug31l.jpg

Many thanks,
Jeff

Latest posts

Back