New Winemaking Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to show my new winemaking area. Last summer I picked up a stainless counter from a restaurant going out of business for a good price I thought of $150. Finally over the last couple of weekends we cleaned out the basement and made room for it, and last weekend I got around to powerwashing and installing it (pic 1). Plumbed hot and cold water to the spray nozzle (pic 2). We had to bolt it to the wall to make it steady but that didn't turn out to be so hard. Plumbed the drains into the existing septic cleanout (pic 3). Had some unused shelving which came in handy. Then I inherited up a full size fridge with a bad thermostat and added that this weekend (still need to get the thermostat fixed, pic 4).

My wife is quite pleased to have the operation moved from kitchen to basement. The only issue so far is the cooler temps. I had a batch of lemongrass-ginger wine that was chugging along pretty well until I moved it downstairs and it stalled at 1.020. I had to bring it back up stairs and warm it up to get it going again. On the whole though I think the cooler temps are probably a good thing. I have a harder time keeping the temps down generally than I do getting them up.

Suggestions welcome. I was thinking rubber mats might be a good idea.

Cave.6.jpg

Cave.8.jpg

Cave.2.jpg

Cave.1.jpeg

Cave.3.jpeg

Looks great. On the construction side, Do you have P-traps on all of the sink drains? I see one in the pictures. The reason I ask, is that being plumbed into the three inch drain you might get some off gassing of pretty bad smells if not.

I have mine in the basement, which is finished, but for a few bucks I got some 2x6 and some pine boards to get the bottles off the floor. The floor will take the heat from anything touching it. You'll note its right next to the heater. I keep the room at 74 (its 20 outside right now), the wine temp is around 71-72.

1390145373043.jpg

Looks great. On the construction side, Do you have P-traps on all of the sink drains? I see one in the pictures. The reason I ask, is that being plumbed into the three inch drain you might get some off gassing of pretty bad smells if not.

Thanks. Yes, I have a trap on each drain, you just can't see them from that one angle.

This looks really great. I believe you need to add some of those honey combed rubber floor mats that you can hook together. It also looks like you might have some room between your sink and electrical panel for some shelving or maybe cabinets. I’m sure it will develop into a really nice area. I wish I had a basement. Good job!:br

Dave

I put a few fluorescent shop lamps between the joists, and it really brightens the space nicely without causing a head-banging obstacle. Some white or gray paint on the concrete walls also makes things feel much more civilized!

Looks great so far. I turned my sons bathroom into my Brew Lab when he went to college. It is WAY too small, but all I have right now.

I do some of my winemaking activities in my basement. One problem is that when you spill any wine on the concrete, the acidity of the wine will slightly etch it. So it's impossible to get it up quick enough. I'd think of a concrete floor paint, rubber mats that have a smooth surface and can easily be cleaned, or both. The rubber mats are good for protecting your feet from standing on concrete as well as protecting the concrete.

Thanks for the feedback.
Gary, I had no idea about the concrete reacting to the acidity of the wine.
Paul, great minds think alike...I already have fluorescent lights hung up over the counter.
Simpsini, those are the kind of rubber mats I was thinking of, but after what Gary said, I'm thinking maybe I need to paint first, then put down some mats.

Another thing about painting before putting down the mats is that concrete is porous enough that moisture will come through it and be trapped under the mat. A good concrete floor paint will fix that. I would say epoxy, but the last time I looked into it you mixed the epoxy components 30 years ago. They probably have something better and easier now.

Yeah, I saw you had one over the counter. I was suggesting a way to brighten the rest of the space without banging your head.

A good concrete floor paint will fix that. I would say epoxy, but the last time I looked into it you mixed the epoxy components 30 years ago. They probably have something better and easier now.

They have water-based, two-part epoxy paints now. I used it on my basement floor.

Looks like a nice spot! If you find the sink traps are going dry from the wet vent might have to install an auto vent or tie into an exsiting vent. Didn't notice any outlets to plug in the brew belt or for playing wine making music?

Enjoy

This lady is Jealous!

I currently live in an apartment and I have to use my kitchen. I got filles carboys on the counter and upstairs in the linen closet. There are empty fermenters, cases of bottles, empty carboys, and my corker on the kitchen floor. My bulk supplies (sugars, candies, bottled juices,etc) have to live in my kitchen cabinets. The freezer is PACKED! And I moved in a under-cabinet hutch to store chemicals/yeasts/enzymes/acids/etc. My house looks like it's PUKING wine making!

I can't wait to have a real house with a place to do my stuff!

Again, this lady is Jealous!

Hey thanks everyone. I do need to figure out something with regard to outlets. Right now I have a power strip hanging from the ceiling. :re

Back