New wine transfer pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winechef

Reaction score
I'm. trying to. buy a vacuum transfer pump for transferring from. 1000 liters stainless steel tanks. but as I live in China I'm. never certain what to get here. finding the right things is tricky.

this can transfer 40 liters a minute, they said it's food grade

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501_083147_com.taobao.taobao.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501_083147_com.taobao.taobao.jpg
    787.6 KB · Views: 2
I can’t read it but that looks
Like a liquid transfer pump, not a vacuum pump.

If transferring from a stainless tank with vacuum you need to be very careful. They are not very rigid so it might collapse under a vacuum.

I can’t read it but that looks
Like a liquid transfer pump, not a vacuum pump.

If transferring from a stainless tank with vacuum you need to be very careful. They are not very rigid so it might collapse under a vacuum.
There is no vacuum created in the tank you are transferring from, only the vessel you are transferring to. Creating the vacuum in the secondary vessel draws from the source tank which is open to the atmosphere.

The source carboy is on the left transferring to the sealed carboy on the right. The vacuum is also lower at the beginning and as it builds the transferred liquids help to stabilize the container. Not to say that strength it is not a concern, just adding some explanation.
1682909215965.png

I'm. trying to. buy a vacuum transfer pump for transferring from. 1000 liters stainless steel tanks. but as I live in China I'm. never certain what to get here. finding the right things is tricky.

this can transfer 40 liters a minute, they said it's food grade
Ya, that looks like an impeller pump (liquids) not a vacuum pump.

If you explain what you are trying to do, tank to tank, Tank to carboy/barrel, and how you want it to work we can probably help.

There is no vacuum created in the tank you are transferring from, only the vessel you are transferring to. Creating the vacuum in the secondary vessel draws from the source tank which is open to the atmosphere.

The source carboy is on the left transferring to the sealed carboy on the right. The vacuum is also lower at the beginning and as it builds the transferred liquids help to stabilize the container. Not to say that strength it is not a concern, just adding some explanation.
View attachment 100903
Yeah, I didn’t catch that. However If you are transferring into another large stainless tank, that one will be under vacuum.

Either way, I think most wineries with large tanks use liquid transfer pumps. I’m assuming transfer speed is an issue.

Yeah, I didn’t catch that. However If you are transferring into another large stainless tank, that one will be under vacuum.

Either way, I think most wineries with large tanks use liquid transfer pumps. I’m assuming transfer speed is an issue.
I have never seen it done, but on here and in searches I have come across varying degree of serious. It really depends on the equipment he has and his intended goal.

For example
1682912681802.png

Yes I have 600. liter stainless steel tanks. after transferring from 1k liter primary fermentation to stainless steel tank will do tank to tank transfer filtering it once. . I have a filtration pump but when I transfer the next time for bulk aging tank to tank transfer wanted something that didn't filter it.

* as others have said vacuum on a 600 liter tank is not smart. To work the tank needs to be rated for the vacuum.
* food grade for wine means that you don’t want brass or steel in the pump head. Wines are acidic and will dissolve copper and iron. They both are catalysts for oxidation reactions. Stainless steel would be commercial grade and usually means everything will last. Hard rubber/ plastics work and since a transfer pump has limited food contact I wouldn’t worry. There should be beer transfer pumps that are sized to move 600 liters in a reasonable time.
* the all in one vacuum is based on an air conditioning vacuum pump. That should be available in the local heating / air conditioning trades.

welcome to Wine Making Talk

Check out this style of transfer pump.
Pump
They are inexpensive and run on compressed air , so you need a good air compressor but those are easier to find than an affordable winery pump as shown above. Plus it’s hard to find a winery pump that isn’t 3 phase power.

RT

Check out this style of transfer pump.
Pump
They are inexpensive and run on compressed air , so you need a good air compressor but those are easier to find than an affordable winery pump as shown above. Plus it’s hard to find a winery pump that isn’t 3 phase power.
It doesn't appear to be food grade, so I'd not use it for wine.

Back