New Wine Room Built for Customer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbuck

Reaction score
Ok, so we just finished our first wineroom and here are the pics. The first one is before. Customer bought house with this but wanted to repurpose it for his wine collection of over 900 bottles, so he had us gut this room. The only thing we saved was the iron gated door in the archway in back and the mahogany archway behind the door.

IMG_6623.JPG

We gutted the room, extended the studs so that it could accomodate R-30 insulation, then installed a 6mil vapor barrier, taped all the seams, installed R-30 batt insulation, then covered with hardy backer cement board.

IMG_8025.JPG

We kept the old entrance of french doors as they are uniform to the other room. Inside you can see that we have applied our venetian plaster to the walls.

IMG_8344.JPG

Here is the entrance after installing the iron doors. Behind the iron doors is an insulated wine room door.

IMG_9712.JPG

Complete with 2 Danby 75 bottle wine refrigerators for the whites! We are going to install some wall rack bottle holders to display special bottles against the tile backsplash

IMG_9691.jpg

There is a horizontal display shelf that is lit with a hidden rope light to display bottles labels on both sides of the room

IMG_9725.JPG

IMG_9718.JPG

And last and most important - The WhisperKool air conditioning system. To the left of it is a small shelf to set a bottle of wine and insert a thermometer that will let you set the wine room temperature to the storage degree of the wine inside the bottle!

IMG_9727.JPG

Fantastic! If this is in Houston I can only imagine what it will cost to keep that room cool in the Summers! Great job if this is your first as well!

Wow, fantastic work! I love the door-behind-a-gate-behind-a-door! I also love the arched display case.

May I ask what drove the use of Hardibacker (rather than, say, greenboard)?

I know it is not traditional, but I went with a harlequin diamond pattern (60 & 120 degree corners) to increase the efficiency of the storage. Perhaps something to consider for future customers?

Fantastic! If this is in Houston I can only imagine what it will cost to keep that room cool in the Summers! Great job if this is your first as well!

Actually it is extremely energy efficient. Because all sides are insulated with R-30, the hardy backer adds 1.0, the 6mil poly sheeting eliminates 100% of air and moisture, and the venetian plaster actually absorbs and retains the cool of the inside, so this unit, once it acheives the internal temperature desired, only cycles on and off maybe once or twice every hour for 5 minutes.
Although - when you own wines that this customer has, I don't think he worries about his electricity cost! HA

Wow, fantastic work! I love the door-behind-a-gate-behind-a-door! I also love the arched display case.

May I ask what drove the use of Hardibacker (rather than, say, greenboard)?

I know it is not traditional, but I went with a harlequin diamond pattern (60 & 120 degree corners) to increase the efficiency of the storage. Perhaps something to consider for future customers?

The hardi has more r value than sheetrock. Also due to the space limitations and his desire for the display row, we went with large diamonds below - that can hold 25 bottles each, and smaller diamonds above - that can hold 16 bottles each. With that configuration we were able to maximize storage. This wine room will store approximately 1700 bottles including the 150 that would be in the wine refrigerators.

With that configuration we were able to maximize storage.

This was great work, and you are right to be proud of it! I do not want to suggest you should have done something different, nor do I want to sound obnoxious, but I want to make sure you got my point (in the off chance that a future customer is interested in greater storage efficiency).

My point is just that the stacking that occurs in regular (90 deg) wine diamonds is considerably less efficient (by about 15%) than the stacking that occurs in harlequin (60/120 deg) diamonds. If a customer truly wishes to maximize storage, you could offer him or her that option.

(C.f. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_packing )

LOL, You got that right, just like the folks in Beverly Hills don't give a hoot about possibly being fined for not conserving water these days. Its like....... put it on my tab........

Although - when you own wines that this customer has, I don't think he worries about his electricity cost! HA

Beautiful work, tbuck!

I've gotta say, I'd have been happy with the 'before', but you really upped it several notches.

Latest posts

Back