New Vadai barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
23 ltrs and cost $300.00 for the barrel and one head carved. I got one barrel with one head carved with our family crest for my cousin and one barrel with both heads carved, one side our crest and the other my Addinette logo, for me. Pictured are the two heads of my barrel.

Very nice Tony! How did it take them to deliver from time of order?

Excellent question. Short answer: 13 months! Long answer: I ordered it July 2013 and Ruthie said it would take about 3 months or so when their next container of barrels come in. December passed and still no carved barrel. They contacted the cooper who said that the 23 ltr barrels were too small to hand carve and they wouldn't do it. Ruthie and the folks in Hungry went back and forth. Finally Ruthie's mother said that she would insist since I had been strung along for over 8 months at this time. It literally took a midnight transatlantic phone call from Vadai's to convince them that they could and would do it. The cooper ultimately agreed and they arrived in California last week and to me today, thirteen months and six days after my first email. I think in the future they prefer to do 50 ltr barrels.

I have to add that the pictures do not do the hand carvings justice. They far surpass my expectations, and that's no small accomplishment. .

Last edited:
Tony,

That is absolutely beautiful. Congrats. it'll go nicely with those Lafitte corks you got a few months ago. ;)

Is there a light coat of polyurethane on those heads?

Tony,

That is absolutely beautiful. Congrats. it'll go nicely with those Lafitte corks you got a few months ago. ;)

Is there a light coat of polyurethane on those heads?

Yes and Yes. Thanks.

Those look amazing!! I have one Vadai barrel, but I was looking for a different oak profile so I went this time with a 5 gallon/20 liter French oak barrel. Man o man I wish I liked Hungarian oak better!!! The French barrel is literally 5 gallons. Where as the Vadai is let's say more like 5.3+ much stouter and thicker staves. Live and learn. Wish you luck and long life on those long awaited barrels!! ImageUploadedByWine Making1408155778.842458.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Coleman, I imagine my next barrel will be French. Thanks for the nice wishes.

When its too old to continue using as a barrel I will cut it in half and give my daughter the chicken head and my son the crest head. Many moons from now.

Last edited:
I hope to start prepping my new barrel tonight. I'm going to follow the instructions that came with it since that has worked fine with the previous two barrels. Wish me luck.

So far so good. Boiling water on both heads for 30 minutes each. And filled with 6 gallons of boiling water with neir a drop of leak so far. Will leave overnight then fill with sulfite solution until I start a Chardonnay in it this weekend.

1408588063529.jpg

I doubt they would pick out a leaky barrel for this project. Looks even better all wet!

Mike, that was my thoughts exactly. I can even see where the hoops have been adjusted and tightened.

I left it overnight filled with boiling water and this morning not a single drop, yet id took a full 750ml more water to top it up. I'm going to fill it with sulphite water tonight and then start a Chardonnay in a primary bucket Saturday then rack into the barrel Sunday evening when fermentation is well underway.

Back