New to Winemaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant

Reaction score
Hi all, last November my wife and I starting making wine. We jumped in with both feet (arms, legs and all body parts). We started with an
Amarone,
South AfricanChenin Blanc
Peach Island mist.

Since then we have bottled a Chilean Merlot and an Island mistKimi Pear

In the carboys now are

Island Mist - Mango Citris
Californian Trinity Red
Vieux Chateau Du Roi

Next
Australian Verdelho

We are amazed how easy and fun it is to do. Why did we takeso long to start doing it.

Have learned so much by reading all the post here.

Thanks for all the tips

Only question is how do you refrain from slipping down to the wine room and opening a bottle of Amarone that is only 4 months old, lol

lmeeko

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 177pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=236 border=0 x:str>
<COLGROUP>
<COL style="WIDTH: 177pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 8630" width=236>
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 18.75pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=25>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c0c0c0; BORDER-TOP: #c0c0c0; BORDER-LEFT: #c0c0c0; WIDTH: 177pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #c0c0c0; HEIGHT: 18.75pt; : transparent" vAlign=top align=left width=236 height=25><?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:><?:namespace prefix = x ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:excel" /><x:Client ="Pict"><x:SizeWithCells></x:SizeWithCells><x:CF>Bitmap</x:CF> </x:Client></v:shape></v:><x:Client ="Pict"><x:SizeWithCells></x:SizeWithCells><x:CF>Bitmap</x:CF> </x:Client></v:shape>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =xl23 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c0c0c0; BORDER-TOP: #c0c0c0; BORDER-LEFT: #c0c0c0; WIDTH: 177pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #c0c0c0; HEIGHT: 18.75pt; : transparent" width=236 height=25></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TD =xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c0c0c0; BORDER-TOP: #c0c0c0; BORDER-LEFT: #c0c0c0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #c0c0c0; HEIGHT: 18.75pt; : transparent" height=25></TD></TR>
<TD =xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c0c0c0; BORDER-TOP: #c0c0c0; BORDER-LEFT: #c0c0c0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #c0c0c0; HEIGHT: 18.75pt; : transparent" height=25></TD></TR>
<TD =xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c0c0c0; BORDER-TOP: #c0c0c0; BORDER-LEFT: #c0c0c0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #c0c0c0; HEIGHT: 18.75pt; : transparent" height=25></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Welcome lmeeko, I am also pretty new to the site and wine making. I am looking for my next red and would like to know what Amarone you made and how do you like it. Thanks and enjoy the conversation!!!

Hello Imeeko...welcome and glad your here, hope you stay awhile and share your journey to the wine cellar with us...

Imeeko, welcome to the board.

You can't stop yourself from tasting your wines long before they are ready. You could try to box some up, tape the box up and hide them in a dark place.

The Island Mist is a good starter that is an early drinker. You will eventually find the need to start kits that are early drinkers to get you over that 1 year hurdle........ till then, keep making wine, or your going to be drinking young wines next year to.

Amarone is

Winexperts
Selection - International - 15 litre kit
Italian Amarone

Could not completely resist and tried a bottle - WOW

We will be making this one again

Welcome Imeeko, the only way I know to stay out of the cellar is to set
up a shot gun with the trigger attached to a string to the door knog!
Just kidding!
smiley36.gif
Its very hard to resist the urge! Amarone to start with huh! Doesnt leave much room to improve on!

Thanks

So is that what most people do. Put them in a box and seal them up. What about storage on their side? I use sythetic corks?

lmeeko

The ones Im hiding from my wife (and myself) are in a wooden box that
has 12 screws holding it one and are stashed away and on their sides
since I dont use synthetic corks.

Imeeko, welcome to the forum. I haven't boxed mine up yet, butI'm going to have todo something. Guess that will be making another batch. My wine rack was full, but I've notice quite a bit of empty spaceslately!

Flaco, I have bottled the Mosti Mondiale Renaissance Amarone REO78 $124.99 and it is outstanding ! I willbe making another batch, for my batch is one month old and I have already drank to many bottles ofit. Just can't keep my hands/mouth off it.

lmeeko,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

There is only one proven way to ensure that you refrain from tasting the Amarone too soon and that is to box it up and send it to me for safekeeping. Each month I will sample the wine. When it is at its peak, I will send you the remaining bottle(s).

Welcome aboard lmeeko. You have quickly learned the evil part of this glorious hobby. Patience or better yet the lack there of to allow the wine to mature.I have only bottled one kit and one mead so far. They are boxed up in the cases and put in the back part of my brew closet. As long as I keep carboys full in front it it way to hard to "spontaneously" get back there behind all the carboys for fear of tipping something or knocking off the airlocks. My first bottled kit produced 29 1/2 bottles, so I had 1/2 bottle to test right away and then five that just could not fit in a case box (aw shucks) thatI will allow myself to test over the next 8-10 months. As each kit is bottled I will have a few straglers each batch and thus not be tempted to get to the aging wine. At least that is what I am telling and convincing myself of at the present time.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: docbee

Welcome Imeeko. We just moved our first kit of Luna Rossa from the primary to the carboy and can't wait to finish it. It's at least 18 days more before the tasting can begin. The big question now is what to order next. We would like to get something that can beenjoyed early.
smiley1.gif

If anyone has any suggestions to a newbie on a good kit for early consumtion, please let me know.

Welcome aboard Imeeko,

Fine and wise folk around here. Take advantage of their knowlege and willingness to help.

Latest posts

Back