New to wine making....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Port

Reaction score
Hey all! <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I am new to the forum and home wine making as well. I will be receiving my 1 gallon kit on Thanksgiving and cannot wait to make my first batch. I have been looking over the forums and was hoping you could help me with a simple first try? I am in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">Michigan</st1:State> and by the time I get the kit I am sure there will be no fresh <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Michigan</st1:place></st1:State> fruit so can you recommend something store bought that I could try? Also, in the Fruit Wine forum I don’t see anyone talking about how long you should or can age these fruit wines….since I can only make about 5 bottles with my equipment I don’t want to waste any by trying it too soon or starting too late. Let me lay this out so it’s easier for you to reply to:
1) Simple first try fruit wine?
2) Store bought fruit?
3) Aging?

I already have the bug, I have been spending time surfing the net trying to educate myself so I can make something that is at the very least drinkable.

Thanks,
Big Port

Big Port

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for good information. There are a lot of good fruit wine recipes that you can try. Go to http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/ and look at all the recipe's that you can make, most with store bought fruits or juices. Most of the fresh fruit wines do however take a long time, most up to a tear to age. But you have to start sometime! Perhaps someone here will know of a good recipe that they can start you off with that may not take as long. Being new to this myself, I don't know of any. Welcome to the wonderfull world of wine making and have fun!

Welcome to the forum Port.

(1) Simple first try fruit wine I would try a frozen concentrate.

(2) Store bought fruit offers quite a variety and would just be a matter of personal preference on which fruit you used.

(3) Most fruit wines need at least6 months toa year ofaging.

I would recommend you look at some of he kits George offers. They are made to get you wine in the bottle the quickest. Since you already have some of the equipment you might give him a call and he can tailor a kit for your needs.

I agree with Waldo. Another advantage to a kit wine first is that it's ready to go in a shorter time than scratch wines. If you have something to sip on it makes it easier to wait to bottle the scratch ones until they are truly ready. Just ask me.
smiley36.gif

Thanks guys! All good info. I will be back with my selection and an update as things progress.

Hi Port and welcome, I agree with the others. I would try a Island Mist kit from Wineexpert first. these are easy to make, will yield 6 gal. and are ready to drink when you bottle or shortly thereafter.. Then I would do as Waldo mentioned and start with a frozen concentrate. The kit will give you wine to drink early and the fruit to age a bit. The key here is to make more than one. That is Kit wine, fruit wine Kit wine etc. Sointime there will always be wine to drink and share with others.

Bill

Bill B said:
Hi Port and welcome, I agree with the others. I would try a Island Mist kit from Wineexpert first. these are easy to make, will yield 6 gal. and are ready to drink when you bottle or shortly thereafter.. Then I would do as Waldo mentioned and start with a frozen concentrate. The kit will give you wine to drink early and the fruit to age a bit. The key here is to make more than one. That is Kit wine, fruit wine Kit wine etc. Sointime there will always be wine to drink and share with others.

Bill

And he forgot to mention to make more than 1 gallon of each. At least 2!!!
smiley2.gif

It would be a great shame if you made only one gallon (=5 bottles at best) of the best darn wine you've ever drank.
smiley2.gif

Trust me, I have cursed the day I drank not only a good wine, but a great wine that I know I've only made 1 gallon of - even as an experiment.

Thanks for all the info. I have access to freshly canned cherries that my mother makes every year, just boils them and adds sugar and puts them in a jar, they are excellent. Can I make wine from those...I guess I know I can because you can make wine from pretty much anything, my questions is how and I make wine with them? Should I just pour them in the primary and treat is as must and follow steps from there?? (Reminder, I am only a 1 gallon batch guy for now)
smiley1.gif

Welcome to the forum Big Port. All the above advice is sound. Jack Keller's site is an invaluable resource with tips for beginners on getting started: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/starting.aspto completestep by step instructions: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

If you wish to use your mother's canned cherries (with added sugar) you're going to have to know how to use a hydrometer so you'll know how much sugar to add to the recipe. A hydrometer is an essential piece of equipment and Jack Keller's site explains the procedure. It's really quite simple to use: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp

Latest posts

Back