new to forum, new to wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome peaches, you don't need two packets of yeast - the yeast multiply! One packet will do fine for 1 gallon up to 6 gallons. Too much yeast means they'll just eat the sugar faster, compete for more nutrients (if you have some yeast nutrient I would add some if you haven't already), and really you should be fine anyway.

Wine is pretty forgiving when it comes to yeast and 'when do I' - it will benefit from benign neglect more from hovering. (though I must admit I am a hover-er at times)

As for buying the $150 equipment, the beauty of the equipment is it's reusable. It's an investment that pays off as you stick at this hobby, and the right equipment can make it more enjoyable as well as turn out a better product.

Good luck with your first batch(es) and keep us posted - and welcome to the forum.
smiley1.gif

I agree with pelican, it seems like a lot of money but if you buy it pce. by pce. it will cost you much more and like pelican said having those few tools will make your wine making experience much much MUCH better!!!!!!!

I know I tend to hover when I end up doing something I wasn't suppose to I did add some yeast nutrient, I've been reading every post on this forum. yes it is expensive when you 1st start, like I was exxplaining to my friend (the one that wanted me to make baloon wine!) Any hobby is expensive at first then you can reuse and have the equipment on hand not having to worry. but the ingredients aren't expensive. Which brings me to an equipment question.. which acid test do I need? There are so many on the market it's overwelming and I don't know which one would be the pertinent one? I should of just started with a small batch but I plan on giving as gifts but I will ask that they return the bottles lol
thanks for the welcome and all your insight

smiley20.gif
Don't worry Peaches, you will do just fine! It just kind of threw me when I read that you used 2 packs of yeast! Soon you will be giving advice to a "newbie" on the forum. This hobby is pretty forgiving. The only one you really have to satisfy is YOU!

well one thing I finally got figured out is that just cuz I get email notices to post there not always addressed to me! lol I took somebody elses credit for giving advice to somebody and didn't realize it till they sent me the post lol right away I went to the post and deleted my reply lol I'm getten there. And I won't be satisfied until I'm there!
thanks

Peaches, as for the acid test kit, I've only seen one kind myself - which I have, and sometimes use but its the least satisfying piece of "equipment" because I tend to make Reds, and you have to look for a color change in the sample while dripping drops of test-agent, and the color change is to a darker red. Hard to tell when the "change" is the change and when it's not quite a change, so I never really trust my readings -

You can get a PH Meter (pricier - the acid test kit is <$10 I think but a ph meter is >$30). A lot of people on this forum use 'the taste test' and that one is free. But, kind of means you have to know what the right amount of acid tastes like! (haven't seen that one fully defined either)

Bottom line is - haven't got any good advice on the acid test for you but if you dont have an acid test kit you can use "the taste test" - it the taste makes you pucker up and close your eyes, that's too much acid, and if it tastes like "huh?" that's probably not enough! LOL

mmm was my friends exact comment when she taste tested it so I guess I'm doing ok. Thanks for letting me know.. but I think it's got a kind of sweet n sour more on the sweet side taste does that tell you anything? And what if it tasted to sweet or too sour what would it take to neutralize either one?
thank you

I am running windows vista and apparently it won't work any other suggestions?
thanks

Peaches, you might want to try craigslist for equipment. When I started collecting stuff for my addiciton here, I only spent about $60 and got 3 carboys, as well as loads of stuff (3 racking canes, a wine thief, a hydrometer, a primary bucket, some bottles, a recipe book, etc)

thanks boozen for the suggestion. I got a bunch of free btles from a free cycle site here.You might wanna check an see if they have one in your area its freecycle.com That really helps the budget and the landfills! And I'm all set cuz I have 3 boxes of btles,3 hydrometers, and 3 of everything else. And loven this addiction! Got my mother wondering "who is going to drink all this wine?"
smiley36.gif
I'm making some hard lemonaid for the people who will be helping with my small vineyard using applemans recipe. Can't wait!

Back