new resident in the vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngg123

Reaction score
I almost had a heart attack when I saw this guy coming out of a hole in one of the rows. He's about 5 feet long. We've got a big gopher population so after I calmed down a bit I realized I like him! :hug

IMG_8122.jpg

I think it might be a Night Snake but I'm no expert.
If it is that thing is huge! 2' night snake is a good sized one but 5' wow!
If it is use caution, they are venomous but pose little threat to humans, or at least when not on steroids!!

Mike is right, it is a gopher snake. We have two types of snakes around here and they are rattle snakes and gopher snakes. Gopher snakes are harmless to humans, but deadly to gophers. I hope he stays around!

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone here. I am not a snake lover, but in the past couple of years, we have been over run with voles. Once they get into the grape roots, they will kill the vine. Last year while working on them I had about a 5 foot black snake that would not even move for me, then I seen that it had a couple of bumps in it, so we came to the understanding that it could stay as long as it ate the voles. Have not seen it this year, but while putting in an end post the other night, I had a 4 foot water snake crawl over my shovel. Even after I picked it up and moved it away, it was in no big hurry to leave. Can only hope that it is living high on the vole. I guess they do good. I just wish that they would do good when I'm not around. Don't know how you can live around those rattle snakes.

The only snake in my area where I live that will not get a pass from me is the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin! All other snakes are ok with me.

Yeah, the only venomous snake around here is also the Water Moccasin, but in my life, I have only come across one of them and that was probably 30 years ago. After I killed it, I then noticed a king snake just a few feet away from me. At the time I didn't even know what it was, but then read that they are immune to venom and will kill venomous snakes. Hopefully it is why I don't see any Cotton Mouths.

The ones we have to watch around here is the copperhead, has a brown diamond pattern and venomous! Moccains are near the rivers, have not seen one around the vineyards. We too have a mole/gopher problem so I let the snakes be.

Luckily the rattle snakes stay away from people and houses. I've only seen (heard) them when on a hikes up in the hills away from people. There are signs posted usually on the trails warning about the rattle snakes but also saying that they control the rodent population so they are a good thing. That being said, I'd kill a rattle snake if it was in near my yard.

I've come across western rattlesnakes many times in my life, mostly as a kid. They're all over Eastern WA, at least in the foothills where I grew up (where i want to plant my future vineyard..... yay? :slp )

Had one slither between my legs at about age 8; most scared for myself i've been in my life.

Dont go in deep brush, dont run fast in anything deeper than about mid-shin, stay quiet and calm if you hear the rattle and immediately go back the way you came.

Needless to say i had a collection of rattles and skins that decorated my bedroom wall for some time. Get too close to the house and i find a shovel; that's that.

Bull snakes look just like rattle snakes but without the rattle and arent poisonous.. Them, 'red' & 'yellow' racers, they all got a pass.. Only seen the yellow and red racers once or twice in my life - talk about hauling! One red one zipped across the creek and if i'da blinked, i would have seriously missed it. Left a wake :)

I identify dead bodies. With a heeler mix and a shepherd mix running around, not much gets close to the house. Even the squirrels don't fare well. The heeler is like a streak of lightning. Whatever gets past them gets shot full of holes. Even large bugs don't last long at my place.

Looks like a Bull Snake to me. Good to have around if you have rodents.

Back