new item for Dave to make wine from!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When presented with unusual ideas some people say "That's crazy!" and others rub their chins and think "Hmmm?"

I'm rubbing my chin and thinking "Hmmm?"🤔

I could actually do that! One portion of my roof never gets sun and every single year I have to clean it.

And in the spirit of "one thing leads to another" - I have a lot of lichen growing on trees. It tastes like slightly tart cardboard but maybe proper prep would transform it? I've read it's starchy and good in soups. And what about the algae in the pond? Or seaweed?

Thanks for the suggestion, Bryan. I've made some unusual wines and I'm always trying to outdo myself!😅

I posted this tongue-in-cheek ... with the thought that the growth might be potentially a winemaking ingredient. You have opened my eyes to the things wine can be made from.

Public Service Announcement -- for those that have leaves and "stuff" accumulating on your roof, get it off on a regular basis. This material will hold water, which can backup under shingles and otherwise rot the roof. As the photo shows, things can grow on the roof and roots will eventually comprise the roofing even if the water doesn't itself cause damage.

Never know until you try! Lichens are edible, at least for caribou aka reindeer and most things that I know of that the members of cervidae eat are edible for us so I’m guessing it’s ok for us!

Seaweed is a thought... but I wonder whether the salt content might not be a problem. That aside, Are there any historical or indigenous recipes using mushrooms for wine?

Seaweed is a thought... but I wonder whether the salt content might not be a problem. That aside, Are there any historical or indigenous recipes using mushrooms for wine?
I found a recipe using psilocybin mushrooms*. That should make an interesting wine!

All jokes aside, I did a quick search and found several references to mushroom wine. When I was a teenager, a friend's mother was a mushroom picker. One time she found a puffball that weighed ~3 pounds, and give us a large chunk of it. We fried it, ate it as is, and put it on pizza. My nephew and nieces (then ages 6 to 11) were present and I cajoled them into trying the mushrooms. Big mistake, as they loved 'em.

Now I'm wondering if it would make good wine ... dang! Dave has infected me!
:r

* the technical name for "magic" mushrooms, which are hallucinigenic.

Paul (@sour_grapes), why the surprise emoji reaction to my post? You KNOW Dave will be up on someone's roof picking winemaking ingredients as soon as he can find a similar roof!

🤣

Actually, my reaction was like yours. I looked up at their roof and thought, "holy freakin' cow!"

We have neighbors who have leaves on their roofs into the spring before they clean it. As my son likes to say, "Not my monkey, not my circus, but I know the clowns!"

I have an attachment for my leaf blower for cleaning gutters, and I use that on the ones I can reach from the ground. In the fall that's once a week, and again in the spring. We hire a small company 2 or 3 times per year to do a thorough cleaning. Young guy, he climbs up on the roof and walks around the edge of my 12/12 pitch roof (45 degree angle) and uses a backpack leaf blower to clean the gutters. On our addition it's 30+ feet down ... no way I'm getting up there.

Good point about the salt. I wonder if potatoes would absorb some of the salt?

Potato and seaweed wine...now we're talkin'! 😅

Use rice. Think of sushi rolls ..... ;)

But the thing about sushi is that you want the umami and the saltiness. I guess when I drink a wine or a mead, salt is not even the last flavor I am thinking about. AND... a few years ago , I got dinged at a wine competition for a date wine I made that one of the judges claimed hinted at taste of salt. I had fermented silwan (date syrup) -

But the thing about sushi is that you want the umami and the saltiness. I guess when I drink a wine or a mead, salt is not even the last flavor I am thinking about. AND... a few years ago , I got dinged at a wine competition for a date wine I made that one of the judges claimed hinted at taste of salt. I had fermented silwan (date syrup) -
My daughter makes this: How to Make Rice Wine at Home with Just 2 Ingredients

The interesting thing about this is that seaweed varies as much as surface plants. I've had at least 4 varieties that I can visually differentiate, and guess that the count is probably higher and I didn't know it. The term "seaweed" is generic.

Interesting recipe, very quick. I learned a while back that rice wine and sake are not the same thing, although they are often used interchangeably in the USA. Sake is produced using a lengthy process that more resembles beer than wine, while rice wine is a wine-type process.

I have yet to build up the gumption to make sake, as it's intensive.

The interesting thing about this is that seaweed varies as much as surface plants. I've had at least 4 varieties that I can visually differentiate, and guess that the count is probably higher and I didn't know it. The term "seaweed" is generic.

Interesting recipe, very quick. I learned a while back that rice wine and sake are not the same thing, although they are often used interchangeably in the USA. Sake is produced using a lengthy process that more resembles beer than wine, while rice wine is a wine-type process.

I have yet to build up the gumption to make sake, as it's intensive.
Daughter and husband like making Mead and rice wine. They are into Renfares and COSPLAY.

A quick search revealed this info on lichens: Edible lichen - Wikipedia

The question is, is the flavor any good?
I mentioned in message #2 my lichen tasted like slightly tart cardboard though I'm really curious if a tea will release interesting flavor. It will have to wait - I'm not going outside to harvest....brrr!

Latest posts

Back