New batch - no fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This a batch of Cranberry/Pomegranate that I've made before. I hydrate the yeast in a separate container first and it starts just fine with much foam. Shortly after I add it to the must it fizzles out. The recipe calls for 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate as the beginning of the process which I've never done this early. If this is the issue, how do I overcome it?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Yes, I can't understand why any wine recipe would call for potassium sorbate at the beginning. It must be a mistake.

OK. Not content with throwing out the batch just yet. My thoughts are to split the batch to dilute the PS. Add new juice to say half and hopefully I can get it started. Any suggestions?

Beano - No it was in fact Potassium Sorbate. I double checked. Seemed odd and I should have gone with my gut feel. It also calls for 1 tsp. - yeast nutrient, 1 packet - Red Star Montrachet wine yeast, 1 tsp - potassium metabisulfite and 1 tsp - pectic enzyme. I was ok with the other ingredients.

Beano - No it was in fact Potassium Sorbate. I double checked. Seemed odd and I should have gone with my gut feel. It also calls for 1 tsp. - yeast nutrient, 1 packet - Red Star Montrachet wine yeast, 1 tsp - potassium metabisulfite and 1 tsp - pectic enzyme. I was ok with the other ingredients.

Just out of interest...where did you get this recipe from? I would assume that the sorbate was intended to be added post fermentation.

Steve

A friend who is also a newbie wine maker. There is no way that recipe is written correctly. I've already fixed it for future reference. Now my big dilemma is how to fix it. I haven't received any responses as to if the experts feel I can salvage this batch. Any suggestions?

OK. Not content with throwing out the batch just yet. My thoughts are to split the batch to dilute the PS. Add new juice to say half and hopefully I can get it started. Any suggestions?

A friend who is also a newbie wine maker. There is no way that recipe is written correctly. I've already fixed it for future reference. Now my big dilemma is how to fix it. I haven't received any responses as to if the experts feel I can salvage this batch. Any suggestions?

Most of us have no experience at fixing this problem. Your suggestion to split the batch and dilute it MIGHT work. Not sure how much you would have to dilute it. Would 50% sorbated + fresh work? Or would you have to go to 33% sorbated + 67% fresh? I have no idea.

Steve

Certainly, I would try to make a GOOD, STRONG starter. Get it going really well before adding to your must. See, for example, http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/feeding.asp

I am chiming in here with no knowledge but the following. I deliberately tried to ferment apple juice that was sold commercially with sorbate and it was a beast. I did it but it took everything I had to pull it off. I think that one technique that you might try is to create a very strong starter that you are willing to sacrifice. I do not have a biochemistry background so I may be way off base but I think the sorbate somehow binds with the yeast and that means that if you allow that yeast to work with the sorbate the remaining sorbate can be overcome if you use another equally powerful starter AND if you have diluted the sorbated must with fresh must at the peak of condition. Your experience may be very different....

Sour_grapes - Thanks for the link! It was very informative. In fact, I think I will use a starter yeast like this for all batches going forward.

So the good news is that I split the batch 50/50 and mixed with new juice. I used the starter yeast and kept building the culture. Now both batches are fermenting normally! Thanks again to all for the input.

Bernard - Thanks for the input. I can tell you the starter yeast worked wonders. In fact, today is the second day of the fermentation and the batches are bubbling crazy! So much so that the 2 inch gap I left between the must and the airlock has been filled with bubbles and the airlock has taken on foam. I just cleaned and refilled it. So we went from no fermentation to SUPER fermentation. It's awesome and I'm glad I did not have to scrap the batch.

Latest posts

Back