New barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, the smaller the barrel the tougher it is to get it to seal.

I agree. And the wineries use steam to create even more heat. It is a process they have to go through every time they get new barrels, but with a little steam, water and patience, they get through it. And by using lots of barrels, I am sure they get petty good at it over time.

Update!

After the soaking, bath, and now waxing the one leaky spot I think (hope) its sealed up! After having water in for about a week do you guys think I should extend my first wine? I was thinking 4 weeks?

Update!

After the soaking, bath, and now waxing the one leaky spot I think (hope) its sealed up! After having water in for about a week do you guys think I should extend my first wine? I was thinking 4 weeks?

Great news!

You should taste the wine in the barrel periodically, anyway. With a new barrel, I would taste it once a week. Leave the wine in the barrel until it just starts tasting too oaky, then rack the wine out and into a carboy. The amount of oak flavor tends to back off some in a few months.

Has it been out of the tub for 24 hours without a single drop leaking out? is every aspect of the outside of the barrel dry as a bone? If so then yes and 4 weeks is a good max time in the barrel depending on the wine type.

Im going to let it sit overnight and fill it up in the morning if all is well, for now... all is well.. Thanks for the help guys!

After the trouble you've had, i wouldnt hesitate to put a little KMeta in 6 gallons of water and let it sit for 5-7 days, just to be sure. I didn't have any leaks when I broke mine in a few weeks back, but still filled it and let it go for 6 days before any wine went into it. I'd rather leak water than wine! It may be a little much, but I wanted to be sure.

That sounds like a pretty good idea... Did yours leak any wine once you filled it?

I think my MO going forward will be to siphon a bottle or two from the carboy when I start. Then siphon the rest into the barrel and top off by hand with the bottle(s). That's the disadvantage of the barrel - very hard to see when it's getting full.

I keep one of those small LED flashlights (actually a couple of them) in the winery. They are perfect for shining a light into the barrel opening so you can see just how close you are getting to the top of the barrel staves.

Well loaded the barrel up yesterday and no leaks! Thanks all for the help and pointers... I was a little surprised though, my 6 gallon carboy fully filled the barrel, was a perfect fit. I had read that most barrels were slightly under 6 gallons so I was expecting to have a little extra.

I have four of them and they are all different. Some hold a little more, some a little less. If you have the 6G Italian ribbed glass carboys and they have been topped up full you should have anywhere from a full bottle left over to at least a split. Perfect for topping up with.

I dont know if I have the Italian carboys.. Either way... at least I had enough for a fill up the first time!

Back