Never had this problem before

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrymck

Reaction score
I have a stalled fermentation problem. This spring I finally tried Chilean juice. It came frozen; a Cab Franc and a Pinot Noir. It was picked up on a Thursday. Fri was still quite cold but thawed. On Sat it was warm enough so I started primary. To my surprise it had already started fermenting. They never mentioned that yeast might have been pre-introduced, but it could have been wild yeast. It was going pretty good. Anyway I pitched yeast. I used Pasture Red on both which is what the vendor recommended. I also used a pound of raisins in the PN. Both received 4 tsp of Bentonite. The start date was 5/21. It was rolling good until I noticed on 5/29 the Pinot seemed to be stalled at 1.010 and the CF at 1.006. It had been there 2 or 3 days.

I gave both a good stir and waited. No change for 3 days. I gave both a stir (had been stirring each day) and added Dap to the PN, the CF was closer so I left it alone. Nothing! On 6/2 I added a half packet of RC212 to each. Today I have 1.004 on each. My hydrometer, in distilled water reads 1.002, a .002 error. So I could say the must is at 1.002 right now. Do I continue to wait, add more nutrient or move on to stabilizing?

What is your current ambient temperature, I'm assuming in the 70's since your in SC? Also, yeast can't use DAP as readily in a high alcohol environment (ie. towards the end of fermentation). You could use Fermaid O, but any DAP you add will only remain as food for nasties, so don't add any more of that.

Do you have any Go Ferm that you could rehydrate some EC-1118 in? Will help protect the yeast in a high alcohol envirornment. Just some random thoughts before dinner...

The must had already started to ferment by the time I could make a measurement. The PN was at 1.070and the CF was 1.080 specific gravity. I thought the PH was quite low: PN--2.48 and CF--2.72. I have no way of measuring TA.

I can find some GoFerm and try it.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like your starting numbers were out of line (ie. it didn't get stuck because of a high alcohol content). You only want to use the Go Ferm if you are rehydrating yeast in it (directions on the package). Your pH readings will be off because of the CO2 from fermenting that is still in solution. You'll have to wait until it is degassed to get a true reading.

You never did tell us your current temperature?

Okay. Your temperature seems good. I doubt your alcohol levels are too high. Unless you added a bunch of Kmeta to kill off the yeast that had started up before you pitched your yeast, I can't think of what would have stalled your fermentation before completion, unless it was a lack of nutrients, which you would have had to add earlier in the fermentation process. So other than rehydrating a yeast meant for "stuck" fermentations, I'm out of ideas of what you can do to get your batches to ferment completely dry.

Hopefully someone with more expertise will comment.

Unless you added a bunch of Kmeta to kill off the yeast that had started up before you pitched your yeast,
I thought about doing that but didn't.

I think I will wait it out for awhile longer.

Have you racked to carboy?

If not... I think I would rack off of sediment, and put under airlock, and see if you still may be slowly fermenting.

.5 brix (1.002) is only apparent to the trained palate in my experience. I'd rack and it will probably finish on its own and if not, not a big deal. My highest judged wine thus far was a blend with a stuck ferment. I knew there was .4 brix, as did done judges, but mostly people loved it.

No, add nothing, just rack from bucket to carboy leaving sediment in primary.

Watch and see if you have any activity in your airlock.

EDIT: Should of read, "add nothing that will hinder fermentation", I thought I edited it in the sentence after posting. Must of done something wrong...@terrymck

Last edited:
OK, thanks for asking. Both wines (I think I can call them wine now) are at 1.000, which is probably 1.002 with the error in my hydrometer. The PH is 3.24 on the PN and 3.46 on the CF. They are both very gassy which surprised me since the fermentation was rather low key with not much activity. I think that I can be happy with where they are. I will add Kmeta in the morning and let them clear.The PN tastes pretty good. Still young, of course, and very yeasty but quite fruity. I put them under vacuum tonight and was amazed at the gas that came out. Thank you Steve!

OK, thanks for asking. Both wines (I think I can call them wine now) are at 1.000, which is probably 1.002 with the error in my hydrometer. The PH is 3.24 on the PN and 3.46 on the CF. They are both very gassy which surprised me since the fermentation was rather low key with not much activity. I think that I can be happy with where they are. I will add Kmeta in the morning and let them clear.The PN tastes pretty good. Still young, of course, and very yeasty but quite fruity. I put them under vacuum tonight and was amazed at the gas that came out. Thank you Steve!

Did you get these from Florida?

I'd check the pH and rack it under airlock, then you can give it time. You can degas in a microwave and check pH. Otherwise temp seems ok. Simple acid test kits are cheap and easy. I'd check that too. Alchohol and acid could combine to shut your yeast down. I second the don't add more DAP opinion.

Latest posts

Back