Need Some Suggestions for Geneva, NY area Wineries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
I'll be up in the Geneva, NY (Seneca Lake) area for a couple of days this thursday and friday, and I see there are a lot more wineries than I could actually visit in that time. So I'm looking for some suggestions from the folks that have been to this area.

We're staying just south of Geneva, so that area is where I'm focusing, but I'd probably be willing to travel 20-25 miles if it came highly recommended.

I'll probably have spotty internet access this week while we are traveling, but I'll try to check in a few times to see the suggestions.

Thanks!

Shalestone Vineyards a MUST visit

Be sure to stop into Shalestone Vineyards. It's a small operation but the wines are fabulous. It's from where I "borrowed" my screen monaker. I always have a case or 2 shipped home. The owner, Rob Thomas is usually hanging around the tasting room that is operated by his wife. His Cab Franc is my favorite. It cellars well too. I recently opened my last bottle of 2000 Cab Franc and it was incredible.

On the more commercial end of the spectrum is Glenora. They host several large events throughout the year including a Jazz & Wine Weekend that is too fun. The winemaker, Stevie is usually available to answer questions. The operation is one of the largest in the Finger Lakes.

When we visit family up there... it's always a difficult choice. We did hit a Meadery up that way one time. It was my first visit to one.

Debbie

Thanks for the suggestions, the Shalestone winery looks interesting, right up my alley with the "reds only" focus. It may be a little out of my range, but I'll see once we get there. We are on the west side of the lake. Glenora may be more doable.

I would suggest you try to visit all of the wineries on Seneca Lake. Better bring a dsignated driver because after a few hundred samples , it might be hard to steer.

Have fun. Lots of good ones on both sides, but I like the right side a bit better overall.

Have you checked out "The Map"?

Absolutely, that's a great app and where I built my initial list from. It shows you where they are, but it doesn't have reviews or ratings (yet). Maybe a new feature?

I got to visit 7 wineries before the wife said enough, but I filled out a case, even if 5 bottles were from the one winery she liked (she likes sweet stuff, and the Fruit Yard Winery makes good fruit wines).

Overall, I was fairly impressed, most of them were small establishments, and the wine was very good, not spectacular, but very good. The Rieslings were great, as expected, and I was very impressed with a couple of the Cayuga wines I tried. The big reds however, seemed to be lacking something. Can't put my finger on what that is, but it's the same thing that are lacking in the reds from Kentucky as well.

With a sample of 7, I can't say that there weren't any good reds though, I might have picked the worst 7!

On a side note, we also went to the Niagara region in Canada, and the wines there were fantastic! I regret not bringing back more now, but I was worried about customs. The Niagara parkway between Niagara and Niagara on the Lake is a great wine trail.

Did you try any Corot Noir or Noiret? Both of them have the tannins lacking in most eastern red wines. I make Leon Millot and fully ferment on the skins for a week. That gives good color and flavor extraction and boost solids and mouthfeel. Not a lot of tannins but oaking it a bit adds that along with a nice vanilla flavor. Marquette can be a good wine, but very little is grown yet in the Finger Lakes. I got a lot of questions about it at Waterloo for the 60th annual Fingelakes grape Grower's Conference I spoke at this year. This last year's Marquette at my place was a bit thin because I had three year old vines to work with. The grapes I got from my other source made an outstanding wine. Too bad I am 5 hours away from the Finger Lakes- I would have suggested visiting my winery.

I didn't find either of those at any wineries I visited, but those tannins are why I chose to buy Corot Noir at Walker's. A few had baco noir, which was pretty good, reminded me a bit of the wines I've had that were made from Norton/Cynthiana grapes.

Latest posts

Back