2019 Lodi Meritage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wondered about that, and how none of the staining gets beyond the hoops.

There is a food grade product sold for that purpose. A winemaker once told me it's not only for the stains but he does it to regulate the micro oxygenation.
Regulate the micro oxygenation. I'm not really certain I think a little bit of stain would make that much of a difference, if any.

Wow very interesting. I kinda figured there would be one definite answer here. But sounds like it’s just a “thing” to do and has varying justifications depending on who you speak to. And just kinda becomes part of some wineries routines. Even with the explanation and article reference I’m not satisfied- just more intrigued! Lol

Given the uniformity of the staining, I doubt it is from spilling or over flow. It appears intentional and how and why are the questions.

Years ago when we made wine at home in 53 gallon whiskey barrels, our "secondary" fermentation was accomplished by filling the barrels to midway up the bug hole (our crude "airlock") and keeping that level up all during that period, usually from mid-October to early December. In pouring wine into the hole some would be spilled but it was never as extensive and uniform as shown in the pictures. Further, I don't know how long wineries keep their barrels but getting that amount of overflow would take many cycles.

Just doing a little barrel maintenance today, decided to pull a little sample of the 19 to check on the pH, now that it’s settled down a bit. Warmed and shook it up to make sure it was ready, and got a pH of 3.71. Not too shabby, looks like the adjustments in post # 36 held up pretty well through AF and MLF. Before it comes out of the barrel, and is tasting like something drinkable, we’ll get together to check the TA and decide if we need to adjust the acidity. For now, I’m satisfied.

Latest posts

Back