Need some start help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep and i am from down south, i've been in 46 of the lower 48, and here in the south sweet tea is normal language, i'd fight a bear with a small hickory switch for a couple of them glasses, now let me be clear when i say i'd fight a bear i'm limiting to care bears and teddy bears,,,
DAWG

Hmmmm, let’s see if we can convince you to skip the bear fight, at least for now. Found your glasses, here’s a link to Amazon, there out of stock right now on Amazon and Belk, but at least you have a lead. They may get stockedas summer draws near...... Buy Home Essentials & Beyond 2688 20 oz. Country Lane Sweet Tea Highball Glass Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

Hmmmm, let’s see if we can convince you to skip the bear fight, at least for now. Found your glasses, here’s a link to Amazon, there out of stock right now on Amazon and Belk, but at least you have a lead. They may get stockedas summer draws near...... Buy Home Essentials & Beyond 2688 20 oz. Country Lane Sweet Tea Highball Glass Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in
thank you so very much, i'll be the envy of the land,,,, lol,,,
as soon as they are in stock they will be ordered
Richard

@Johnd good find I think. Wondering why you were searching amazon India which is where the link points!

woke up this morning to a nice layer of foam on the surface of the fermenter so looking good. No real change in SG yet, but hopeful. Thanks for everyone’s help.

@hounddawg glad to hear you are feeling better.

@Johnd good find I think. Wondering why you were searching amazon India which is where the link points!

LOL, have no idea why it went to Amazon India, just did a Google search for images matching "Sweet Tea Glasses", found the image of the identical glass and clicked into it.......................

Lol. Added second hydrometer to make sure the reading wasn’t off, I leave my stir spoon in primary, and the orange handle is a thermometer.

Lots going on in there!

Lol. Added second hydrometer to make sure the reading wasn’t off, I leave my stir spoon in primary, and the orange handle is a thermometer.

Lots going on in there!
Doug. you know i keep 4 hydrometers, 1 to use and 3 as backups since i live so rural i have to order all equipment online, i know i ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but i aint a butter knife either, well at least i hope not, lol,, but dang you taught an old dawg a new trick, it had never dawned on me to check my meters for accuracy , i dail in my PH meter so on so forth, but the hydrometers went over my head,,,lol, thank you for the food for thought,,

I started a SP batch on Saturday morning including sugar, water, yeast nutrients etc all the items per original directions. I then pitched the yeast (ec-1118) Saturday evening (early per directions), I just sprinkled it on the must versus a starter, and it is now Tuesday evening with nothing happening. The yeast pack was my only spare ec1118 (I thought I had more, but what I have left is expired by 4 months and the pack I pitched was Good and In date until end of this year) but I do have so BM 4x4 handy. Must temp is 72, Sg is 1.070.

My options seem to be:

1) wait longer
2) pitch additional expired ec1118
3) pitch 4x4
4) make a 4x4 starter and pitch that
5) other

Suggestions?

Tia

Doug
Hey Doug - You may want to check your pH as I've had this issue with it being too low. If it's lower than 2.8, you may want to add a little calcium carbonate (chalk) to raise the pH to get the fermentation kicked off.

Thank you @TurkeyHollow. I got the wine started and finished it yesterday. Here’s a batch photo (got a little sediment in the 3 gallon carboy that I will have to let resettle.

12EE16D0-2FA3-4DD7-BDF7-4513A67756B0.jpeg

This was also before backsweetening so now all the carboy are topped off and plan to bottle tomorrow in 16oz plastic juice bottles :tryfor easy summer consumption!

Latest posts

Back