Need help to make eldererry batches larger

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckvchestnut

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! My hubby and I had a miscommunication on the size of our carboys that we currently have. I thought they were 5 gallon carboys but they are 6 gallons. I am currently fermenting 4 - 5 gallon batches of elderberry wine in 6 gallon pails. The fermentation hasn't stopped yet and I am abut to take my fruit out today. What would be my best option as far as additives to make my juice end up at 6 gallons per batch? Welches white grape concentrate? Can I add just the juice, or should I add a combination of juice, water and sugar? 2 of my juices started out with a S.G. Reading of 1.100 and the other 2 started at 1.110. I don't mind if it continues to ferment with the added juices etc. I am using EC-1118 on all 4 batches so shouldn't they have a tolerance to almost 18 abv? Not that I want my that high of course!

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks :)

ckvchestnut said:
Hey Everyone! My hubby and I had a miscommunication on the size of our carboys that we currently have. I thought they were 5 gallon carboys but they are 6 gallons. I am currently fermenting 4 - 5 gallon batches of elderberry wine in 6 gallon pails. The fermentation hasn't stopped yet and I am abut to take my fruit out today. What would be my best option as far as additives to make my juice end up at 6 gallons per batch? Welches white grape concentrate? Can I add just the juice, or should I add a combination of juice, water and sugar? 2 of my juices started out with a S.G. Reading of 1.100 and the other 2 started at 1.110. I don't mind if it continues to ferment with the added juices etc. I am using EC-1118 on all 4 batches so shouldn't they have a tolerance to almost 18 abv? Not that I want my that high of course!

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks :)

18% AVB is what I meant to say.

Are they all the same recipe? If so i would just combine them into 3 of your 6 gallon carboys and put the remaining two gallons into jugs/growlers/wine bottles (w/ airlocks). This is not taking into account any racking losses.

That's an idea, 2 are wine and 2 are supposed to be blush but I didn't press the fruit packs when transferring them from the wine fermenters to the blush juice. So I got a much deeper colour on those. Probably a ruby red... But basically same recipe but with more welches white grape in the blush ones.

I agree with WI WINO I would take the two first runs, blend with the second run and fill three 6 gallon carboys then use the couple gallons left over for topping.

Ok thanks so much! Just a few teeny questions then. My 2 red batches have fully fermented to .990 and are still in the fermenter pails. Can I just blend these with the blush batches which haven't fully fermented out yet? One is at 1.050 and the other at 1.040 ATM. They were started later than the reds with the same fruit packs. If not, how long can the reds stay in the fermenting pails to wait for the others to finish up?

Appreciate your advice! Carolyn

If those pails have air tight lids and airlocks I think you can keep the batches that are done fermenting in there for another couple of days. If not, then you need to get them into the carboys w/ stoppers and airlocks. I would just fill three carboys roughly the same (10 gallons across 3 6 gallon carboys is just a little more than half in each). Air space won't matter for a couple of days. Then when the other batches are done rack in, saving any extra for topping of.

Thanks! I have air right lids but no airlocks so they are just under a tea towel with bungee cords to keep out the fruit flies. So tonight I will fill equally 3 - 6 Gallon carboys with stoppers and airlocks then. Too bad I couldn't get two different styles out of it but it's my own fault lol

Make one 6 gal. out of 1 batch, another out of the other, combine what is left and you may come up with 3 different styles. Arne.

Thanks Arne! That's exactly what I am trying! 2 - 6 gallons are in carboys now. Tonight I will top one of the reds with the other one and then when the blushes are finished fermenting I will top that 2nd red one up with some of that and rack the remainder of the blushes into a third carboy. We'll see what happens!!

Latest posts

Back