Need Corking Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUwiner

Reaction score
Occasionally, I have an issue with corks staying seated in a bottle. I use Size 9 straight cork. I've purchased most from Kraus. The directions with the corks say bring water to a boil, remove from heat, added corks, cover and let steam for 2-5 minutes. I am using a hand corker. The corks go into the bottles fine and I have never had one to leak, it's just about one in every 8-10 bottles the cork will start rising back out of the bottle. I don't use any particular kind of bottles, all are just standard 750 ml. I tried putting the corks in dry without steaming. With some difficulty this worked on some some bottles, but I couldn't get the corks in others. None of these corks came out. Would steaming the corks for a shorter period help? I wouldn't think there would be a significant differences in the individual cork or bottle opening size. Suggestions? (besides buying a new floor corker)

I do not use regular corks but ponder this.

Are the bottles filled to the correct level. Too much and the inside pressure is too great.
Is the wine all degassed. Again too much pressure.
Perhaps the corks are too moist going in making them lubricated so to speak.
Are they being stored cool. Too warm and pressure etc.

Others on here may offer other ideas

I would look at the level in the bottle and make sure your not too high. I also would not be steaming them. Just use sulfite solution to sanitize (corkador).

Yeah i agree with Mike don't steam them. heat can breakdown the corks. Just use a sanitizing solution. You can either dip them in the solution and then toss them in a colander or Just use a spray bottle with sanitizer and spritz them.

I am kind of surprised the directions would even say to use the boiling solution. I guess these particular corks have no coating...
Not knowing why, maybe you should do as the directions state.

However, for most modern corks, such aggressive steps are not necessary.
Not knowing why they include such directions, I'd call the store and point-blank ask why.

As stated previously, a quick spray with kmeta or fuming with kmeta in a corkador is usually all that is needed.

The guys are also right about air space beneath the cork. If it is not enough, those corks can sure come out, especially when you warm the wine up some. Worse, it can happen months later when the bottle is lying on its side.

Last edited:
Back