Need a project for new Steam Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i forgot to give it a stir but i even used red star cuvee yeast. brew temp was at least 70 throughout. but i stirred it late and maybe thats the problem. but i REALLY want this batch to ferment dry

You can always hit it with a new batch of yeast (I recomend a starter with 1118) make sure the temp is up (72-75) and maybe a little nutrient.

BOB

What's my time frame that i can add the new batch of yeast and it will still have effect. Also do i need to do a transfer of the sediment?

Thanks for the help!

Jerry1 said:
If using steam to juice fruit, wouldn't the juice be storable for some time if it's bottled in sterile jars?  I'm hoping the answer is yes as I am going to have lots of different fruits to process.  I'd like to have a little break once in a while from processing.  In case you haven't guessed I am as green as it gets when making wine.  Last I made was in Seattle, circa 1984.  Blackberry.  Man was it good and tasty.

Is all you have to do to store steam juice safely is to put the hot juice into the hot jar and thats it? How long will it keep?

Thanks

You need to use canning jars with lids that create a seal. I put clean jars in a 200 degree oven, then remove one ata time, add juice and a lid that has been heated in some water on the stove. They will seal great this way. I have not had one fail yet ( knock on wood )

BOB

As long as the wine is still at 1.010 I think you would be okay to try more yeast. I would do it right away though. If the SG has dropped a little I would wait and see if it will continue. Yes I would transfer all sediment.

BOB

fivebk and Bert thanks for explaining the storage of juices obtained through steam juicing. That's going to come in real handy.

For safety, you can follow the instructions on the canning jars for sterilizing them first. It should list how long to boil them. Rather than boil mine, I usually put them in a dishwasher and run through a full wash-rinse-dry with soap in the wash cycle, to clean and sanitize them before using. You can fill them hot from the dish washer, or keep them hot in the oven at 200 degrees. Be sure to soap and water and rinse the lids before heating them in the pan on the stove. Jars can be reused until they chip or crack. Better not to reuse flat caps. They don't seal as reliably after the first time. Take the ring off after the jar is completely cool so it won't rust from water inside the threads. The rubber inside the lid and the vacuum will hold the flat cap on. Check each cooled bottle to be sure the lid is popped down and won't move when pressed in the center. You can put a flat cap on an empty jar to see how they sound and feel when not sealed.

This is basic info that anyone who canns at home knows, but almost no one makes their own pickles or jelly these days, so I thought the specifics might be helpful.

Some other things to consider with a steamer, you can make all juice wines now very easily depending on how much acid comes out, something to really consider as they can be very good.

Also, not my tip but passing it along, putting marbles in the bottom lets you hear the water knocking them around, when it stops making noise you need to add water asap!

Crackedcork

Cracked,
Thats a really good idea, because before hand i was just checking randomly and getting the occasional mild burns haha. thanks for all the input guys

Haven't done any currents, but I'm sure they would work fine....crab apples work also, but I find many are very dry [not much juice]....I usually cut them in half or quarters, helps speed things along...also juicing them seems to reduce the acid level...Good luck and enjoy...

runningwolf said:
Are black currents also a good canidate for the steamer? What about crab apples?

Did you get a steamer Dan? You'll love it. Take a rideup on the campus and check thecreek edges by the student union. Lastyear it was loaded with Elderberry bushes. There was also a bunch along the road between Walmart and Agway on thewalmart side of the road.

Latest posts

Back