Need a project for new Steam Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kemo

Reaction score
I found an stainless steel steam juicer for only 80 bucks on amazon and have a few questions for the veterans.

is stainless really that much better than aluminum? How many pounds of fruit on average do you have to juice to produce a gallon of juice?

Lastly do any of you have any suggestions for a first batch? Im really waiting for plums to come into season

smiley4.gif

Thanks for the info!

When I juice berries, I juice the number of lbs. I want for a batch and use the juice I get for the batch...Hope this helps....

P.S. For cleaning the boiling pot ...I add two packs of unsweetened lemon-lime koolaid, fill with water and bring to a boil.....comes out shiny clean.....

Sounds interesting Bert, im guessing its the acidity from the koolaid that cleans the pot

Also fruit will vary on how much juice you can get out of it......And it helps to freeze the fruit first before juicing....

As it will basically have the same effect as boiling the fruit, do i add extra pectic enzyme or just leave it in for longer?

Yes SS is that much better then aluminum.
I steam juice how ever much I plan to use for the batch like Bert. I don't add any extra pectic enzyme, just follow the directions on the bottle and find that the wine tends to clear a bit faster.
I'll have to try the lemon-lime koolaid trick next time I use the steam juicer.

Alright guys, i got the first batch. im gonna try to do pure steam juice to see how the results are. I have 3lbs of blueberries and 6.75 lbs of plums. im ready to rock and roll. do you guys have any advice? i know blueberries tend to be high in acidity but i have some calcium carbonate to deal with that.

I've steamed blueberries with good results. Just make sure you don't run out of water when running it. You are on track for adjusting the acidity if you need to. As far as plum, I've never steamed them, but I'd half or quarter them and remove the pits and steam them just like any other fruit. You will love the steamer. The only issues are that you will heat up the kitchen quite a bit running it. But its as easy as fill the boil pot, bring it to a boil, add your fruit to the steamer basket, and cover it. I usually add a cup or two of sugar to the top of the fruit for added sweetness. Also I drain off a quart of the fresh juice and pour it back onto the fruit. Its advice that I think my good buddy Waldo gave me when I first got mine.

ive herd others say to re pour the juice as well. what does that do?

Mainly it sanitizes the tubing by putting boiling hot liquid thru it. Not sure if it helps in any other way, but it certainly doesn't hurt. If I get a chance I'll look for my juice yield post to give you an idea of what I got per pound average when I steamed blueberries

That's interesting to pour the first quart back. I bet it also helps to put heat on top of the fruit, softening them more.
I will try it on my next batch.

Alright! so far the must is great! I did 3lbs frozen blueberries and almost 7lbs of plums. let the pectic enzyme at it for 24 hrs and added nutrients and sg up to 1.090 and ph to 3.60. Also added 15grams of oak powder. Its bubbling like crazy now

If using steam to juice fruit, wouldn'tthe juicebe storable for some time if it's bottled in sterile jars? I'm hoping the answer is yes as I am going to have lots of different fruits to process. I'd like to have a little break once in a while from processing. In case you haven't guessed I am as green as it gets when making wine. Last I made was in Seattle, circa 1984. Blackberry. Man was it good and tasty.

Yes, It will last a long time canned in sterile jars. that way you can start your wines at your convenience.

BOB

Freeze your fruit first and than steam juice...And yes you can bottle in sterile jars.... I warm the jars,bands and lids...put the juice in the jars hot, put lids and bands on...All have sealed for me so far...Have been doing it for a number of years this way.......Oh and try to keep track of how much juice you get from how many pounds of fruit you steam....I use this number to replace number of pounds of fruit called for in the recipe....

my ferment stopped at 1.010 after i racked it. It looks like i have a lot of CO2 escaping and i added nutrient but the sg hasnt dropped in 4 days. what a waste!!

What is fermenting temp???...Give it a good stir too....1.010 is kind of high for a finished wine...

Latest posts

Back