RJ Spagnols Need a kit suggestion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southlake333

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying a kit but have no idea where to start as there are so many available. I've only made 1 kit before and it was a Chablis Blush. This time I was thinking of making something more like a Riunite Lambrusco as that's my default cooking and table wine. It has some body, is sweet, goes down easy and adds a ton of flavor to recipes that call for wine. But I also don't want to break the bank as I see plenty of kits getting up there in price. Another possibility would be a sweet Reisling as I've had that before and enjoyed it.

I'll be buying it from George at FVW so I'll need something he carries. Suggestions?

If you are going to do a kit why not do a wine that you will like. Since you like it, why not the Riunite Lambrusco? With most kits you'll gave 6 gallons (thirty 750ml bottles). Kits allow you to make large quantity of what you like.

My personal rule is to make wine kits for my taste preference and my wife's taste preference since, we are the main consumers of our wine.

If you are not sure buy and taste several commercially made bottles wine of the type you are interested in. Buy different brands and wines from different parts of the world. First to see if you like to make that style in a 6 gallon quantity, secondly to have a baseline to compare the kit wine with the taste of the style wine you want, third to expand your knowledge of that style of wine.

Last edited:
Well, Reunite Lambrusco is a store bought wine. I could just make a Lambrusco kit but there are only 2 at FVW and both are supposed to be dry (unlike Reunite). I could just sweeten it to taste but I was hoping someone would already have tried a kit that they thought tasted similar and could suggest it.

Latest posts

Back