Kit to Replicate Lambrusco Riunite?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kantuckid

Reaction score
I've tried to research this topic before but never satisfied myself I'd arrived at the best choice. We buy the Riunite Lambrusco for one purpose-it makes the best Sangria we've come up with. The right combo of sweetness, flavor and once combined with 50/50 fresh OJ and half a lime & half a lemon, juiced we love the stuff. It's obviously an Italian, red wine blend so it's possible we'll never get spot on to match it?
So, I'm yet again prospecting for ideas of a red wine kit I could choose to get close to our Riunite Lambrusco? Thanks!

Last edited:
FWIW, there is the distinct possibility that we are better off buying Riunite in the bottle? My last buy at Meijers box liquor store was right at under $5 a bottle if you bought 4 or more bottles.
The previous, similar thread I did in 2019 was ended discussing kits at or over a $100, so not something I'd go after just to call it my own wine and try to match what's at retail.

I think, if I were to try to make something like a Riunite, I would buy a kit at the lowest price level I could, ferment very cold to try to keep all the fruityness I could. I might even buy the Island Mist/Orchard Breezin type of kit (I think they can be found for $50), then I would leave out the Potassium Sorbate, maybe the flavor pack, and carbonate at a very, very low level (don't ask me how much, but not much sugar per gallon), just to give it that fizziness or force carbonate someway. You could try that for about $3/bottle, but that really isn't much savings and it won't taste like Riunite, due to the grapes being all wrong. I don't think there are any Lambrusco kits out there.

You might also try an Italian Juice bucket, they are about the same price and I seem to remember seeing a Lambrusco offered by someone.

I certainly wouldn't go for the higher end kits, not the right product for what you are trying to produce.

Riunite has no carbonation as I observe?
I made a summer wine kit called White zinfandel/ Strawberry Essence or similar last year. It is far, far from as flavorful as Riunite though it's something as you suggest.

We had a bottle of Zinfandel left by a son who usually buys wine at around $15-20 btl..
We'd ran out of our Riunite which we drink only as Sangria with our frequent Mexican meals at home so we subbed his 2010, Rancho Debacho California, Zinfandel. Honestly, if not for the sweetness factor, it was not far off flavor wise from Riunite.
Last time I visited this notion I was thinking a red grape juice used back sweeten a sort of common red wine kit.

FWIW, there is the distinct possibility that we are better off buying Riunite in the bottle? My last buy at Meijers box liquor store was right at under $5 a bottle if you bought 4 or more bottles.
The previous, similar thread I did in 2019 was ended discussing kits at or over a $100, so not something I'd go after just to call it my own wine and try to match what's at retail.
What I ended up finding for sale is AllJuice Lamsbrusco, at $99 plus shipping. If you were to find Italian juice buckets locally in season, it might be more in line with costs you are looking for. Otherwise, why not enjoy Reunite for what it is, when you want sangria, and make what you want? I got a bottle recently, it was great with pizza. I might try to make a bucket of easy drinking red like this, but for now I'd rather spend the time on something else. My goal is to drink better than I can afford to buy, or something I can't find easily.

I see that all their bottles has champagne corks: Riunite Lambrusco wine: the best Lambrusco | Riunite

Also, they write; The term “Lambrusco” in the Zingarelli Italian Language dictionary is defined as “fizzy Emilian wine of a bright red hue, achieved from the vine with the same name.”

But as for the original question, since the intended use is a Sangria style wine drink, I would buy it by the bottle as it is "the best Sangria we've come up with".

I agree, I thought all Riunite was slightly fizzy, at least. I got nothing else to suggest, perhaps someone else might.
I just now read Riunite's description which says "soft, breezy and eminently quaffable, with a light natural frizzante". So I suppose it has some fizz built in, though one sees few, if any actual bubbles, I do agree that it's light on the tongue considering it's a cheaper blended wine and quite flavorful.

That's strange, all Lambrusco I have seen are, if not sparkling, but at least fizzy. Which of Riunite's Lambrusco are you referring to?
It says "Emilia" on the red Riunite and several other of their Lambrusco lineup. We don't buy the Rose', blush or bianco in those wines. We have tried the Lancellotta which they say uses the "missing grape", "Emilia-Romagna". It is similar to their more commonly shelved red Emilia and all their wine blends state the ligth frizzante thing. They also sell Sangria mixes and similar in cans and bottles. In our opinion you must use fresh OJ and lime & lemon to get a true sangria taste.
These are aluminum screw cap wines, no corks or wires.

What I ended up finding for sale is AllJuice Lamsbrusco, at $99 plus shipping. If you were to find Italian juice buckets locally in season, it might be more in line with costs you are looking for. Otherwise, why not enjoy Reunite for what it is, when you want sangria, and make what you want? I got a bottle recently, it was great with pizza. I might try to make a bucket of easy drinking red like this, but for now I'd rather spend the time on something else. My goal is to drink better than I can afford to buy, or something I can't find easily.
You sure wont find wine juice buckets in very rural eastern Kentucky! Even Walmart & Krogers are a 50 mile RT:re plus like most of the rural state it's dry. Whole county=no red lights, no fast food, no industry(save one quarry and the huge timber industry), no jobs, very scenic though...

That's strange, all Lambrusco I have seen are, if not sparkling, but at least fizzy. Which of Riunite's Lambrusco are you referring to?
I read the Italian link website-those corked wines are the premium line, not the stuff we see and buy here for sangria. I'm uncertain if thats sold in the USA or not-never looked for it. If so. in large wine box stores it would be shelved as a regional wine by country, not with the cheaper stuff. For that matter, there is another similar Lambrusco like the Riuniute but tastes the same, sells cheap, not seen as often, etc..
Generally speaking, how do I achieve the "frizzante" if I ferment Lambrusco juice?

Latest posts

Back