Necessary to clarify red wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ805

Reaction score
I just completed secondary fermentation (ended at 0.992) on a red from fresh zinfandel grapes and I am getting ready to degas. Just about every local winery I've talked to do not clarify their red wines, only their whites. My concern is if I do clarify my reds (in my case using super kleer), would I lose some of the good characteristics of the wine such as its body? I plan to age it with oak cubes for about three months, so my thought is to just rack it a couple of times during the aging period.

I just completed secondary fermentation (ended at 0.992) on a red from fresh zinfandel grapes and I am getting ready to degas. Just about every local winery I've talked to do not clarify their red wines, only their whites. My concern is if I do clarify my reds (in my case using super kleer), would I lose some of the good characteristics of the wine such as its body? I plan to age it with oak cubes for about three months, so my thought is to just rack it a couple of times during the aging period.

Good plan, let it clear and degas on it’s own.

Back