RJ Spagnols My Winery CC merlot stabilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdammer

Reaction score
Okay. This kit is a little different then the WE kits I have done before.

The instructions say to rack into a bucked and add all the chemicals and degas.

The WE say mix it all together with the lees.

Question is. Why in this kit do I have to rack it off the lees and then add the chemicals? Can I just leave it in the carboy and add them or should I rack into another carboy leaving the lees and then add chemicals?

Any thoughts? Might be a lame question but I'm just confused between the two different kits.

Any thoughts would be appreciated it. It just dropped below 1.000 and I'd like to rack it tomorrow morning before it gets much dryer.

Oh and by the way. I don't nearly enjoy the reds in the early phases as much as the whites. Right now this tastes like some really bad wine. :)

jdammer:

For many of us, the question is "why is WE different from the other manufacturers?".

Winexpert thinks the clearing agents require more lees to work properly (in my experience with maybe 6 WE kits, not so). Other kit companies (like Spagnols, Vineco) seem to figure less stuff for the clearing agents to clear is better. Just a difference in methodology.

These differences are pretty common in wine making. For example...air-lock on primary or not? bulk or bottle aging?

Steve

Ok. So rack it to another carboy and then add the chemicals.

The kit says less than 1.000 or should I wait for it ferment dry?

Ok. So rack it to another carboy and then add the chemicals.

The kit says less than 1.000 or should I wait for it ferment dry?
Definitely ferment to dry before doing the additive thing; however, past experience with Winery Series kits is that they don't always go below 1.000. Keep it warm (to help with degassing as well as finishing fermentation) and check the sg over a couple of days. Or be like me...ignore it for an extra week or three.

Steve

Great. Thank you much. I'll let it hang out for a few more weeks. Then rack and add chemicals.

Latest posts

Back