My second batch questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkingsnorth

Reaction score
I am on the 8th day after adding the yeast to my batch. It started out at 1.060 and is now down to 1.000. I still have my directions from my first batch and they said to rack it at this point. The directions for the new batch says to leave it in the fermenter for 14 days. Very confused right now. The batch is Orchard Breezin Strawberry Zinfandel. Should I follow the directions from the first batch or the directions from the new one?

I have not made this wine but my advice would be to rack it now. By the time 14 days rolls around, you will be fully fermented and risk exposure to air. I always advise to make moves based on the hydrometer reading and not the calendar.

I am on the 8th day after adding the yeast to my batch. It started out at 1.060 and is now down to 1.000. I still have my directions from my first batch and they said to rack it at this point. The directions for the new batch says to leave it in the fermenter for 14 days. Very confused right now. The batch is Orchard Breezin Strawberry Zinfandel. Should I follow the directions from the first batch or the directions from the new one?
If you are asking this question, then you probably should just follow the instruction sheet for the kit. Different manufacturers, drifferent kits, different instructions. However, .....

The OB instructions suggest racking after 14 days, and then immediately stabilize, add F-pack, and clear. If you leave the wine alone till then, it should contain lots of CO2 and SO2 and be OK.

If you choose to rack now that the sg is 1.000, remember that the fermentation is not yet complete. I would expect this kit to drop to about .995, so don't stabilize, add F-pack, and clear yet. If you wish to follow the other instruction sheet with regard to timings, that is just fine. That probably means stabilizing around day 18.

Whatever, don't be in a big hurry.

Steve

Last edited:
I have done a few Orchard Breezin kits and I just checked my instructions and they all say to rack on Day 14 once you've reached an SG of 0.998 or lower. I've always just followed the instructions, and haven't had any issues...yet! ;) Except for one I did an extra racking & let it sit a little longer than the day they suggested for bottling.

Was your first kit the same brand?

I have done a few Orchard Breezin kits and I just checked my instructions and they all say to rack on Day 14 once you've reached an SG of 0.998 or lower. I've always just followed the instructions, and haven't had any issues...yet! ;) Except for one I did an extra racking & let it sit a little longer than the day they suggested for bottling.

Was your first kit the same brand?

My first kit was Vineco California Connoisseur, also white zinfandel

Oh yeah, so two different wine kits, each has it own set of instructions. Follow the ones that came with the Orchard Breeze one. It threw me off the first time I did an Island Mist which is similar to OB and they wanted the wine to sit on the lees and for you to mix it all up again at the clearing stage. But they always say to follow the instructions that came with the kit.

OK, think I have a problem here. This is the 19th and the SG is still at 1.00. It has not changed at all since my first reading on 4-3

Yeah, I have a suggestion that you rack it over. If you have taken SG 2-3 times and it has not changed, the wine is finished just a tad higher than what you expected. Some may say this is earth-shattering. Take it from me: No big deal. Move on through your steps.

My second batch came out great. Not real potent, but I don't really care about that. It tastes awesome which is why I drink wine anyway. My next batch is Pomegranate Zinfandel.

After you rack it, make sure you let it sit for a while before you stabalize it or add k-meta. Many times when you rack it it will decide to finish out afterwards. Give it at least a couple of days to see if it finishes. Could be pretty slow, especially if the temps. are down. Arne.

Latest posts

Back