WineXpert My reds are very "tart/sour"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sally3

Reaction score
I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Seriously, I haven't
made a good red in a very long time. Is it the acidity that I am
tasting? Tonight I opened a VR merlot bottled May 1, 2007 and
tossed it out. I then opened a selection merlot (again bottled in
May) and it has the same tartness. Any suggestions? When I
first started making wines (with George) my wines were terrific.
This is very frustrating.

sally3 said:
I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Seriously, I haven't
made a good red in a very long time. Is it the acidity that I am
tasting? Tonight I opened a VR merlot bottled May 1, 2007 and
tossed it out. I then opened a selection merlot (again bottled in
May) and it has the same tartness. Any suggestions? When I
first started making wines (with George) my wines were terrific.
This is very frustrating.

Did you follow the directions on the kit? Just trying to spark
your memory if there was something that you may have done differently
than the directions say.

Another thing is sanitation. Are you cleaning and sanitizing your equipment well?

Just some thoughts, tough to diagnose a problem based on just the taste
after only 3 months in bottle. It could just need more age.
Another 3 months and they may start tasting better?

Sally, I would have to agree with JW. 3 Mo. is not very long in the carboy. At a min. I would think between 9 mo. and a year. Merlot iis a style of wine that ages well past a year. I think what you are tasting is a very young wine that hasn't had time to mellow or smooth out. Also Merlot is high in tannins this also can give a tartness although it would be more on the bitter side.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

I always use K-meta for sanitation and clean before I put the equipment
away. I wish I was going to Winestock just to have someone else
try it. I don't have a clue what I am doing differently.
The VR merlot is supposed to be drinkable at 2 months. Does high
acidity have a tart/sour taste?

I concur as 3 months for a red is nowhere near enough time. It should have at least another 4 months in the bottle.

Even the VR? The instructions say drinkable at 2 months. I
usually make bigger kits but I thought I would try the VR to get a
quick, drinkable red. Has anyone had experience with
acidity? I am familiar with a strong tannin taste and that is not
what this is. This is very tart...like biting into a lemon.
I hope it is youth. Seems like someone would have had the same
experience if it was youth vs infection of some sort. I am
tempted to toss all my equipment and start over...sigh. BTW,
thank you for your responses.

I think they are "drinkable" by the fact the alcohol isn't the overwhelming taste, but as you have discovered, the true good wine taste isn't yet coming through either. Made a Lambrusco with same thought on being able to drink early, after trying at "drinkable" age, its going to wait several more months before I give it another try.

Sally, I still think you wine is ok. Yes high acidity will give you a very tart taste. I believe in time it will smooth out. When they say drinkable in 2 mo. I think this is an advertiseing ploy. Outside of Island Mist kits I don't believe any of the big reds are ready in 2 months.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

With my customer base maturing, I am finding that the formerly acceptable wines are just not the same, anymore. I think the palettes are getting more sophisiticated and the expectations are rising. Give the wines a couple months more, then let use know.

Sally, I don’t think you are doing anything wrong. The tartness you taste is from the acids in the wine. In my tasting experience the acidity is the predominate taste in a very young red wine. Also, it is my experience that it will mellow with bottle age. Although off-tastes can be caused by an infection, they are relatively rare. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I agree, even though Winexpertmay say this kit is drinkable and it isin 2 months it certainly isn't anywhere near it's full potential.

Time will cure this one....
smiley4.gif

Just thought of something else....

You said it was a VR kit meaning you had to add about 4 gallons of your
own water. Where was the water from? Tap?
Bottled? Filtered? Maybe it is a source of the off flavor?

Seeing as how you brought up the water subject, 90% of bottled water is tap water!

Sally, first of all I am sorry you won't be at Winestock. Was great meeting you last year. Now to your questions. I doubt very much it is anything you are doing skill wise that is effecting the taste of your wines. I have yet to taste a kit wine that is anywhere drinkable in the time frame Wine Experts states and by no means do I feel I have a refined palate. You and many here have met me and know I'll drink just about anything.
smiley2.gif
I personally feel it is a marketing statement to convince the HomeVintner to buy particular kits. We all know how impatient winemakers can be and I am sure many would be put off if they read in the literature "Enjoy in 2-3 years."

Even with the VR kits I have found in the reds it still takes time. I have a Cabernet Sauvignon VR kit that is right at 2 years in the bottle. It is just now getting acceptable to me. From the literature you read it makes it should like you must drink it within a year. I opened a bottle of VR Pinot Grigio a couple nights ago that is over 2 years in the bottle. It was superb.

It just takes time and your storage conditions affect the time the wine reaches maturity. I more than once have opened a bottle that wasat the time frame WE says the wine should be enjoyable. It wasn't so I waited longer and the next was better but still not there.Thank goodness I have the patience of Job.I am just now getting a few red kits that are getting to a stage that suits my taste. Give it some time and hopefully it will eventually meet your expectations.

wade said:
Seeing as how you brought up the water subject, 90% of bottled water is tap water!

Filtered through a Britta Water Filter.
smiley2.gif

Thank you everyone...I will just have to tuck them away and slap my
hands when I want one. It was nice meeting you too Steve.
Who knows, maybe life will calm down and I might be able to get away at
the last minute for Winestock 2008. George throws a great
party!.

Btw...I used tap water but our tap water is really good here. Thank you.

Sal,

Even if you can't go to Winestock, your wine can. Send a bottle for tasting. I'm sure everyone there will give you some feedback on it.

One or two may even return the favor with a well aged bottle so that you can compare.

Edited by: peterCooper

Sally,

Where are you located? I am familiar with a lot of water qualities around the country, and if I don't know yours I can probably look it up on the Internet and make some comments.

Back