My first strawberry wine from scratch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's a lot of sediment. I did a strawberry wine, check my back posts, and I don't think I had half that. I used about 16 lbs of fruit for five gallons. I ended up with about six gallons when I got all the sugar dissolved in there. I didn't freeze the berries, though I did let them a day with half the water and full dose of pectic enzyme. I wish I had took some pics early on. I think I only had an inch or so of sediment after three weeks in the carboy. Edited by: OGrav

Wade,

I did use a nylon straining bag for the fruit. I went ahead and racked into a 3 liter jug over the weekend. Forgot to add Campden tablet though. I guess I can add it now.

If its your first transfer from a primary fermenter, I believe that campden tablets ARE NOT RECOEMENDED at this time
smiley1.gif
Edited by: scotty

scotty said:
If its your first transfer from a primary fermenter, I believe that campden tablets ARE NOT RECOEMENDED at this time
smiley1.gif
Even if itis not, it looks like lots of stuff is still happening in there.

Boy am I messing up today. Sorry for the doubble postEdited by: scotty

Scotty,

So it's ok to wait until next racking to add Campden? I think fermentation is complete on this thing. It went from 1.095 to 1.000 in the primary, and I used Red Star Montrachet yeast. I think this yeast has an alcohol tolerance of 13%, so at the transfer to secondary, I was already at 12-13%.

You can add campden as soon as fermentation is complete.

Most people rack mid-fermentation to get the wine off the lees. If you have tested your wine and it is .998 or lower and stays the same for two or three days you can stabilize with campden.

Even though, I don't always follow my own advise, I recomend you stabilize (add campden) as soon as fermentation is over. The sooner you add it the less chance a bad bug has to get into your wine and change it into something you don't like. As long as it is completely done fermenting you will be fine.

Tell us, have you tasted your strawberry? I tasted mine and am kicking myself for not making a 6 gallon batch. Especially since I accidentally spilled some and only ended up with about 1/2 gallon after racking.

Just be sure fermentation is stopped. Any bubbles or pressure in the air lock????
Take the advise in Mr Hosteds post about the SG. That tells the story usually.
Im paranoid about fermentations not being finished. One thing is for sure. As waldo said rack .
My guess is that treating it wont hurt anythihg if you did the SG tests as suggested and slow down
smiley36.gif
Edited by: scotty

Funny you said you accidentally spilled some...I did the same. The hose pulled right out of the jug when I pushed the auto-siphon down to start the siphon
smiley36.gif
I caught it quick and was still able to fill the 3 liter jug, but I lost some future topping-off supply!

I did taste it and I think it is OK. It may need to be sweetened slightly in the end, as it is pretty dry. Taste a little strong in alcohol currently too, but I hope that will mellow with age.

I will check the S.G. for a few days straight to make sure it has finished fermenting and then add the campden.

Latest posts

Back