My First Press Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
Well, press day 2011 is in the books. For my very first press ever I think everything went well. The location was my garage and it served as a perfect place to press. I didn’t have to worry about being messy.
The press itself worked flawlessly it pressed the skins well and I could not imagine pressing without the strainer bags.
We started cleaning and sanitizing everything at 9:00am and completed cleaning everything including the floor at 1:30pm.Actually the whole process was easy and went exactly as I played it out in my head.
The results;1 full carboy and about 7/8 of a gallon out of each Cabernet Sauvignon bucket1 full carboy, 1 full gallon and 4 full 750ml bottles from the Merlot bucket
Recapping … the preparation was key, 4 strainer bags were a big plus and of course the vacuum … well everyone should have one. My only disappointment is I didn’t take enough still pictures.
Sorry about the video ... still need to work on this :h
[TUBE]HbRYFa9D4P4[/TUBE]

A few pic's
IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

a5eecb1f.jpg

8803233b.jpg

Looking good!
OK Quick question for you. Why didn't you just put the strainer bag in the press held in place by a rubber band then use a one gallon bucket to pick up a gallon at a time and pour into the bag letting the free run go right through and into the waiting bucket below. Rinse, repeat until the bag us full of skins, tie off, press, repeat as necessary?

ibglowin said:
Looking good!
OK Quick question for you. Why didn't you just put the strainer bag in the press held in place by a rubber band then use a one gallon bucket to pick up a gallon at a time and pour into the bag letting the free run go right through and into the waiting bucket below. Rinse, repeat until the bag us full of skins, tie off, press, repeat as necessary?

I don't know ... I never done this before.
smiley1.gif
I got three bags per bucket. So we did three little presses, and it took no time at all.

Looks like you were having a good time, that is what it is all about. I got a little chuckle though, you had like 6 drops of juice on the floor and kept looking at the stuff on your hands like you just dropped a dirty diaper. I love it. Good job. Everyone can tell when I start harvesting and crushing, my hands are stained halfway to my elbows a dark color that only goes away with the lingering smell of bleach. you are hooked.

Sounds like the new press did its job. Looks like you guys have some nice (cooler) weather finally.
rhoffart said:
smiley1.gif
I got three bags per bucket. So we did three little presses, and it took no time at all.

Man does that juice look good, and good job there Rick!

ibglowin said:
Sounds like the new press did its job. Looks like you guys have some nice (cooler) weather finally.
rhoffart said:
smiley1.gif
Yes, a little cooler today. The front came in while we were pressing.
When are you pressing?

I have 2 that as of last night were sitting at 1.002 and 1.003. I want them all at 0.998 before I press so I put brew belt on those two this AM. The others are falling to ~66. I am off on Friday and have some help coming over. Supposed to be a nice day with high in the low 50's. I also have one of those propane patio heaters I can fire up for some increased heat out on the patio. My garage is not as big nor as empty as yours!
smiley36.gif

ibglowin said:
I have 2 that as of last night were sitting at 1.002 and 1.003. I want them all at 0.998 before I press so I put brew belt on those two this AM. The others are falling to ~66. I am off on Friday and have some help coming over.</span>
Man you know I would be there if you lived closer. I'm not driving that far.
smiley1.gif

</span></span>
My garage is not as big nor as empty as yours!
smiley36.gif
Yea, my wife says I have issues with my garage. I spend more time in there then I do in the house. I paint the floor twice per year. That forces me to take everything out and then replace it. Don't tell her but next year I'm thinking about adding a mini-split heat-pump system.
smiley3.gif

Scott B said:
Looks Great!!!
Very Nice.
Thanks for posting.

I'm taking special care of your stock ... there will be a bottle with your name on it when time comes.
smiley20.gif

Thanks Rick, that is nice of you.
Lets trade a bottle when it is ready.

Thanks again for your help.
Scott

Latest posts

Back