My first non kit wine: Pear... pictures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't kill them with kindness!
smiley28.gif
Keep us posted!
smiley32.gif

Update:

1/21/06 Numbers:
S.G. 1.020
.65 TA
3.57 PH

2/2/06 Numbers:
SG .999 (66*F)
.70 TA

I racked it to a new carboy. Smell was good. The pear is starting to come out, but you can still smell the alchohol. The taste was better. Still has a harsh begining (like sparkling water) the end tastes more like the original pear. Clearing well.

Thinking of adding some polyclar.

Anyone done some acid testing, can you tell me if that's pretty normal to go up?

I'll do another SG test in a day or two then hide it to let it clear for a month or so.

Decided to sweeten up the pear. Didn't feel 'right' adding sugar to wine. So I went and bought 6 lbs. of pears. I took them home, juiced them. Tested the sugar level at 11.5 brix (about 1.045 S.G). Added all 10 cups to the wine (since that's all I got).

I was trying to get it around 1.005 sweetness, but figure this would do (just under maybe 1.0035).
Now I'm looking at the wine and it doesn't look as clear.
I added potasium sorbate, 1 campden tablet (in pear juice) and 3/4 tsp potassium metabisulphite (to wine)

Now that I'm looking at the wine, I'm a little concerned it won't clear becuase of the pectin in the fruit. I did originally add pectin, but thinking of adding a little more to help it clear with the fresh fruit juice(non filtered).

Anyone know if pectin will give you any flavor if added this late in the game?

I'll re-test the sulphite levels again but estimate it should be around 75ppm now.

Thought I would give you all an update on a very old post
smiley1.gif

Today was the day I decided to bottle my pear wine; my first fruit wine. Unfortunately,
smiley2.gif
I had half a bottle left and couldn't put a cork in it. So I decided to sit down and give the wine a good evaluation. Here is a pic of the wine:

20070120_171735_012007pearWine.jpg

It does not taste sweet, I would say its almost dry. The D'anjou pear flavor comes out nicely. Though not strong enough that you wouldn't want a whole bottle. It has a little heat at the end and stays on the palet for about 20 seconds (much more than I expected from a fruit wine). My girlfriend says it has a 'buttery' taste too, though I did not pick that up. I think i pick up a smooth mouthfeel.

I would dare say this wine is ready to drink now (considering it has been bulk aging some time). I also think it would be refreshing as a summertime wine. All and all I am very satisfied with the outcome and honestly didn't expect this much from a fruit that was not grape. Though it is not as complex as a big red, it is drinkable on a summer afternoon.

I want to thank all the folks here that helped me, I attribute the information I've gleaned from this board as the reason for my success. So, thank you all, and cheers!
smiley32.gif

Yea, I'll be making another Pear wine myself as mine was very good to.
Mine didnt bulk age that long either. I made mine from canned pears in
heavy syrup at a Shop Rite can can sale!

Latest posts

Back