WineXpert My first kit... WE Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjames23

Reaction score
Been eyeballing kits due to the present unavailability of fresh juice. Picked up WE on sale for $67 CAD.
I'm getting it started now.
:)

Will this be your first WE kit or have you done them before? So far I've only done RJS and and one MM kit. Believe my LHBS also carries some WE kits and will probably try one some day.

First kit eva!

I normally make wine from grapes or juice.
Easy to come by here in the Niagara Wine region.

First kit eva!

I normally make wine from grapes or juice.
Easy to come by here in the Niagara Wine region.

You mention "Niagara Wine region"... Last trip to visit family in central PA just below Elmira, NY met a fellow who gifted me a bottle of homemade white wine. The wine label said "Nitro Niagara". Do you know if that is a wine made from grapes from that region? Maybe it is just a name the fellow made up? I believe this guy starts with grapes for all his wines. BTW, it was great tasting wine.

Never heard of Nitro. But there are at least 20 vineyards within 5 miles of where I live. Almost all of them sell to the general public during harvest season. So it's very likely that it is a true Niagara varietal. Whites bloom early around here and sell for as low as $14 per bushel.

Well the Barolo hit .990 yesterday. Added the sorbate, k meta and chitosan and put it under vacuum for 4 hours.
Clearing nicely.
But it is extremely floral. It tastes like and aged wine...without the age.
I may use it as a blend with some Merlot. Well at least some of it. The rest may be bottle aged for a year.
Recommendations?

Bought a Ken Ridge Amarone today.

SG 1.085.

I was hoping for 1.095 but I added a liter too much water. Can I add 2 cups inverted to bring it up?
I know this is not recommended at all.

Cool. I'm a kit newbie.

I usually have to add sugars to my late season juice buckets to get it up to 1.090 whereas, with my grapes I usually have to add water (SG is usually 1.106+ after crushing) for class 10b grapes.
Wasn't sure if I should "tweak" a kit pre-fermentation.

Adding straight sugar really doesnt upset kits, as long as you dont go crazy. I believe 1.088 is perfect, so 1.095 is just a bit high. I try for 1.090 with my kits.

I added a cup and a half brining it to 1.092.

I feel Amarone should be a hardy 13%. Especially since is going to serve 12 months in a barrel. It's crime? Being delicious!

Latest posts

Back